They're Here!

whillo

Songster
11 Years
Mar 6, 2009
Willamette Valley
My 9 chicks arrived today from back East. MPC shipped them on Monday, I got the call from the post office by 1pm. I was so excited. Thought I had another day but am so relieved that they came so soon. I was surprised that there wasn't a heat pack in the box, even though it's warm back there, it's still a little bit cool here. When I opened the box (I have that all on iPhone video but have no idea how to post it) I was relieved to count all the chicks moving. In the corner though, under two of the standards, was my little buff silkie. She seemed drowsy.

My daughter held them on the way home and they were all moving. As soon as we got them into the brooder I saw her stumble back and then go flat. Of course I freaked out! I picked her up and rubbed her tummy, rubbed her head, rubbed her back, checked her fuzzy bumm, tried to get water into her. Daughter got me a paper towel and I was trying to get her beak open. I had NO idea what to do. I was in such a panic. When I first picked her up she just went limp, rolled her little head back and I thought she was gone. After a few minutes of my rubbing and being afraid I was going to drown her, she went rigid in the legs. I was trying to hold her against me but she was standing straight up with this little fallen head! When I could finally cup her in my hands I started worrying I couldn't keep her warm so I was trying to keep her under the heat lamp but my hand was burning with the angle I was in. What next?! Finally, I placed her in the brooder and we made little hand barriers to keep the others from trampling her. Within an hour, she was drinking by herself, and then when she started eating we were doing a little dance.

My poor daughter kept saying "I'm sorry mommy." I thought she was saying that because I was so upset and worried, but then I finally realized she thought SHE had done something to hurt the silkie! Oh man, then I REALLY felt bad. Poor thing.

So we spent the rest of the night watching chicks. Heavy sigh of relief that they are here and doing okay. Hoping that I have all girls. MPC says they can guarantee that 90% of their sexing is correct, so there's a chance I may just have a rooster. Getting pretty attached to these guys already. Hate the thought of having to get rid of a one of the darlings
just because he's a boy!

Needless to say, had to name that little buff silkie Angel.

I was hoping mine would come yesterday but Nothing - So maybe they will come today. I have already irritated the postal workers. They seemed annoyed I was letting them know chicks were coming and insisting they have my cell phone number. Irritated I came yesterday afternoon to see if my OVERNIGHT EXPRESS delivery was delivered. She just kept giving me that deadpan face and saying Ma'am we will call you. No smile. No trying to alleviate my concern for my fuzzy babies. I waited in the line. I don't think I was wasting her time. Both times I had other postal transactions.

Postal Service Zero customer Service

Now MPC that is another story and it is all GOOD!!!!

That is wierd they shipped with no heat pack but I am willing to bet that they were in a smaller box and with 9 they could keep each other warm. It was 110 here yesterday.

My AC only works sporatically in the car so I have concerns with not over heating them.
Caroline

We also picked up our chicks from MPC at the post office yesterday afternoon. Our order was for 7 and so far, all are doing very well.

I was a bit worried about the post office too. I had gone in to the one closer to where I live a month ago and she told me they would go to the bigger one in an adjacent city and I should talk to them. So we did. They told us they couldn't call us and just to wait. So I wrote MPC all scared again and one of the girls called and left me a long reassuring message. Then there they were, all across the U.S. in two days, and it was the post office that said they would NOT arrive there, that called me. ??? I was a bit worried too, because the woman on the phone was very short with me. I was all excited and she was pretty "deadpan" like yours caroline. I got lucky though...she was not at the counter and the sweet little man that helped me was enjoying our excitement. If anyone knows how to post little video snippets from an iPhone I'd sure love to share some.

Hope you got your girls today Caroline. It's Thursday and that's the day they guarantee delivery by. Odd that they would arrive all the way here and can't get down to you. Congrats Gage! Did you name them yet? My daughter had them all named within the hour. It was fun.

Our Angel has slowed down today. Is this normal? She was very active yesterday after the scare of losing her. I dreamed chicken all night last night. Thought I was sitting in their coop with them. Thought I was going to roll over on them because I'd brought a couple to bed with me. Thought I didn't hear the peeps then woke up to really listen. (Locked the cat in a room last night rather than the chicks. Is that mean? :eek:)

Whoops Caroline... thought today was Thursday. I'm a bit mixed up. Not so much room up there with all these chicken thoughts racing through my head. I bet you've picked up your girls by now. Let us know!

Okay, a couple of hours later. Angel is gone. She died in my hands. Starting acting like she was just as I took her out of the box yesterday. I was on the phone with MPC and she took a couple of gasps of air and was gone. I'm not doing well. I'm thinking maybe I am not cut out to be a backyard chicken farmer and witness this cycle of life thing. Now I'm scared to death that I'm going to lose more. She was doing so good last night. Running, eating, drinking... MPC said sometimes that just happens. Really?
hit.gif

Last edited:
hugs.gif

Sorry you lost Angel. Maybe she was a little gift from heaven. It does happen sometimes. My first batch went great last year. I thought I had it all covered and this chicken raising thing was easy.... until week two and my dog got in and tried to play with them. I was heartbroken. My favorite passed away and the other two were in shock. It took a while before they were okay again. Dot and Lutzie. I lost Lutzie in February. She just wasn't doing so well and never did lay an egg. I was with her. I cried like a baby for all of them.

For the most part Chickens are very very hardy. The two I had in shock had such a strong will to live and I was amazed at how they bounced back. What is most important is clean water and food, proper heat not too hot or cold and out of drafts. I console myself in that these babies that went to chicken heaven went with love.

There is risk in all forms of love. If you don't risk it you will never know it so don't hold back or think you are not able to handle being a chicken farmer! You can do it. This past year, yes, I lost some chickens. But I also have received great joy of the first eggs, the first broody and the first hatchlings. I have funny chicken stories about my pullets unauthorized nests and hiding eggs from me! ( One laid 10 eggs in her nest before I found it!!!! Little stinker!!!!) First crows of my roosters! I would risk the sadness for the great joy I have been blessed with in this circle of life. My bantams just started laying the cutest little eggs a day or so ago.

All life is a miracle and a gift. Some gifts last moments and others a life time.

Your little chickadees are going to grow so fast - you will not believe how fast. The first day they do look like they could fit inside an egg and by the end of the week you will not believe how much they did grow. By the time they are awkward teenager chickens you will be wishing they were little chickadees again and tempting yourself with a second order of chicks.

My MPC order did not come today. They were sent Priority so I will check tomorrow but there is no tracking number for Priority.

I will keep checking in with you!

You keep posting here and we will try to help you any way we can!

I wish they had a backyardbaby.com/forum for when I first became a human mom because I certainly could've used the help. My first is nearly 18 now. EEK I am a mom to a senior in HS.

Caroline

Im sorry you lost your little one..its tough I lost one due to my dog that was days from being born..I know its different but I can understand how you felt with lossing a chick..

hugs.gif
I am so sorry you lost Angel. When I lost my first chick 2 yrs. ago I thought I was done, I was so sad. She was a Blue Cochin and so sweet. I went on because of the others and I am so glad I did. I still miss my baby Blue but i enjoy her sisters so much and will remember her always. Love my chickens, so much fun.
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Thank you so much for your kind words. I canNOT believe what a basketcase I've been today. I am no spring chicken and have lost pets before, but my reaction to this little girl dying in my arms shocked me. I've been watching her sister silkie all day. It's 3:30am here and I finally came upstairs after sitting in front of the brooder alllllll day. I know I can't do that. She seems okay, but she is a so small compared to the rest. I have 4 bantams and 4 standards now. I've been thinking chicken for 2 years, thinking at first that I wanted 3 silkies....that's it. Then the more I read and the more you all talked about YOUR love of chickens, my desires starting adding up until I finally settled on the nine. I trimmed that list from 18 to 15 to 12 and then the final 9. I can't imagine what a wreck I would be if I had ordered just the three silkies and already lost one. I just wish I could relax a little about the rest.

I'm worried about their little bottoms. I saw a woman at the feed store going through and checking bottoms and pulled off a chunk a bit smaller than the size of a dime from a couple of the fuzzybutts. She didn't seem too concerned. Said she checks them for awhile and there's always some. But I look at mine and if they look a little crusty, is that a concern? Should I rush to try to pull that off or will it hurt them? Should I wait until I see a big piece?

When I called BYC again, I spoke to someone else who said that Angel could have had some internal injuries that might have felt better one day and took her the next. She was under the other chicks when I picked her up at the post office. So now I see the bigger ones running over Sophie or the other bantams. One of the bantams in particular likes to come and sit on Sophies head when she's sleeping. I feel like I have to be there to push them all off her! Can they get injured that bad to kill them from other chicks running over them? I've seen the girls at the feed store pick up 6 chicks at a time and DROP them into another brooder. I was shocked! Does THAT cause internal injuries?

Thank you again so much Caroline, chick, Doodle... you have no idea how much better it feels to just read your words. I'm also sorry for YOUR losses. Chickens...who knew they could get under your skin so fast?!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom