They're In! The Hatch Has Started in Two Bators

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
The Hova is full and the overflow is in the Fridge-a-Bator. Right now, there are 49 eggs between the two, but when I will put my Blue Orp, Skye's egg in if she lays today, plus both Orp girls' eggs in tomorrow if they lay in the morning as well. Those girls give me fits! I should have had eight eggs in there from them already, but no, Velvet has to be her usual odd self this week. She plopped that egg today right on the ground when she came out the door this morning!
barnie.gif
Jeff, she's just a rotten girl, so all these eggs better hatch for you!
By next Wednesday, I should have at least another dozen or more eggs arriving and they will go into the Fridge-a-Bator as well. Not sure exactly what the final total will be but I'd say 65-70 eggs, if I don't put any Barred Rocks in there.
DCP_9635.jpg

DCP_9632.jpg

Hey-
Please give me the lowdown on those gadgets in your bator. It looks kindah sortah like the one I've seen in Prissy's pics. Where'd you get the thermometer and the yellow thingy that gives the likeness of the temp inside the egg,,,,,,,please!!! Oh, and what are the darker eggs?
Thanks much,
Kathy

Goody... Lots more eggies into chicks!!...Just got to have some of those chocolate eggs somewhere down the line...lol...and, and a blue or green would look prutty in the kitchen egg basket too huh?...

Good vibes for your hatches!!....

HEy speckle,
I havnt gotten a water wiggler yet but to me it looks like you would be getting a false reading since your eggs are in the turner and higher in the bator then the wiggler on the bottom of the bator. Your eggs could be as much as 2 degrees higher being in the egg turner then laying on the bottom. Have you ever tried putting the wiggler on the turner to see if there is a difference? Fingers are crossed that you have a wonderful hatch. I am by no means an expert on this, no offense meant at all, I was just wondering. Jenn

Jenn, I have a Fluker's sitting on top of the eggs themselves in the Hova in addition to a probe in the wiggler. Never had a problem with a circulated air machine. I'd think that would be more of a concern in a still air bator. I can lay the wiggler on top of the eggs and see what the reading is, but I've never had any issues doing it this way. I know the edges are probably a tad cooler than in the middle of the turner itself, though.

BikerBabe, the thermo/hygro in the HovaBator is a Fluker's Digital made for reptile habitats. The AcuRite in the homemade Fridge-a-Bator came from Walmart and is easy to find. The really dark eggs are some of mothergoose's prize-winning Welsummer eggs. There are also RIRs and exhibition size Buff Orpingtons from BamaChicken, Ameraucanas from the Cree lines in Washington State (sent by my pal Lynn in California), and one egg from BamaChicken's splash Orp rooster's pen. In the Fridge a Bator was an extra Welsummer egg plus my Blue Orpington eggs. For a better look at my Fridge-a-Bator, check out this thread from when we first made it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22395
Here is the hatcher we just finished, made from a 48 qt cooler that will be used in 18 days for the eggs that I just put in the Fridge-a-Bator:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=43001

You're right Cynthia that this can be an issue in a still air. I had my wiggler sitting at egg height, by wasn't moving it to the higher end while propping up carton. After most of my eggs on the ends passed away, it occurred to me to put the wiggler on the higher end. I can't wait to get my hova genesis and be done with this kind of issue!

Looks great Cynthia. I hope you are soon swamped with little fuzzy butts! Those dark eggs are so beautiful. I can't wait to get some of those from mothergoose.!

I forgot to add in a few of my Barred Rocks I was collecting! I have three of Lexie's and two of Amanda's to put in the Fridge-a-Bator as well. Might as well go for broke while I'm at it, huh?

Never want to waste heated space in an incubator when there are eggs just itching to fill it!!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom