Can a hen stay broody for two hatches in a row?

RMill

Hatching
Jul 9, 2023
Background: We have a hen that went broody June 14th. After 2 weeks, my mil removed her eggs from underneath her while collecting eggs to eat! After realizing what had happened, she returned the eggs but only 5 of the 7. I dunno what happened to the others. Anyway, the hen immediately pecked at two and broke them. Of the 3 left, only one hatched.

So my question: I put 6 more eggs under the hen because she has remained broody. Does anyone have experience of a hen staying broody for two cycles? She has water and food right in front of her that she can reach and she has been separated from the other chickens with her new baby. What do you think? She’s been sitting on the eggs for three days now.

Attachments

• IMG_1631.jpeg
    IMG_1631.jpeg
    586 KB · Views: 75
:welcome Hens are generally biologically programmed to leave the nest within 36 hours after the first chick hatches
Thanks. I have an incubator on standby if she stops her broodiness, but I thought I would try it. Her chick was born on July 4th, so it’s been well passed the 36 hours and she’s still sitting.

Remove the eggs and allow her to raise her chick. If she didn't have the chick, she Might sit on the eggs for another cycle, even though it would be bad for her health to incubate eggs through another cycle, due to how much less than normal a broody eats and exercises But there is no way she can raise a chick while she incubates another clutch of eggs.

Back
Top Bottom