they're in the trees

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickaboo7, Sep 27, 2007.

1. chickaboo7

chickaboo7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Manahawkin NJ
    I have oegn banty Cochin's and japanese. Tonight I couldn't find them I was in a panic. I look up and there they were about 7 feet up in a tree. Is this safe? It's their first nite out of the shed. I was late in closing the door. Do chickens roost in trees? I saw wild turkeys in trees which was a pretty strange site. Why were my silkies not up there? Can silkies fly? I've never seen them fly not even my older ones. Should I get a ladder and get them down? I don't want anything to happen to them.

2. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    A few of my spring batch of chicks decided they were going to do that this year. Not all of them but a few rebels. When dusk came I would go out to lock everyone in and they would already be up there and I had no way of getting them dowm nor did they want to. I lost two to predators (at night) so what I did was start leaving them in the pen for a couple of weeks (no free-ranging) and that seemed to solve the problem. From then on in they went into their coops to roost.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Roosting in trees makes them an easy meal for preditors. [​IMG]

4. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    The type of feather means that silkies don't have enough 'lift' to get off the ground with their wings.

5. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    awwwww. my banty cochin used to roost in a tree.... would freak out everytime.... now shes too heavy (haha!)

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, breaking that habit would be good because its dangerous for them to live up there. Easy food as stated earlier.

7. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    I have one that always sleeps in a tree, and another one that occationally joins her.

8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    You really should have a secure place for your birds to roost at night. Outside of the coop, in trees is just asking for trouble, in my opinion.

The main part of our flock is able to roost outdoors during the night, if they chose but we have them in what we consider to be a predator proof run . Only time, coyotes and coons will tell...[​IMG]

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by