They're not as big as I imagined them to be...

Well, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings I was just stating MO based on the thread,which i read from the beginning...if your birds are healthy and your fine with the way your doing things then whats was the point of the this thread? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you were asking...

The point of this thread was me wanting to know why they're not as big as I imagined them to be. I wanted to know why.

IF YOU WANT A CHUNKIER BIRD TRY STRAIGHT CORNISH WHEN THE BOYS WERE FEEDING SHOW BROILERS THEY SENT JUST PULLETS AND EVERY SHOW WE ENTERED IT WAS JUST PULLETS SHOWN THE LARGE BROILER HOUSES WE TALK TO THE OWNERS AND THEY SAY DIFFERENT STRAINS REACH BUCTHERING SIZE AT 52 TO 59 DAYS OF AGE WHEN GOING FOR MAX IUM GROWTH AND GAIN WE STARTED TURKEY STARTER OR GAME BIRD STARTER THEN BROILER FEED A GOOD LAYER OF SHHAVEINGS FOR THEM TO STAND ON AND ABOUT ANYTIME YOU COULD STIR THE BIRDS UP THEY POOP EAT DRINK AND GAIN THE REALY GOOD EXHIBITORS WOULD SLEEP WITH THEM STIRRING THEM EVERY TWO HOURS LIGHTS 24 HOUR
There's SQ cornish? :O
Well, not sure how much those are but the 11 we have now were $1.50 a chick.. We're not the kind of people that pay $65 for a bird since we don't do anything with them. No showing, no projects, no starting our own little poultry business. I do like to hatch my mutts though
big_smile.png

The point of this thread was me wanting to know why they're not as big as I imagined them to be. I wanted to know why.

And you were told that you are not feeding them enough. That offended you.

But it is simple truth. You can't grow animals without putting food into them. Animals can't grow and make meat without the fuel to do so.

And you were told that you are not feeding them enough. That offended you.

But it is simple truth. You can't grow animals without putting food into them. Animals can't grow and make meat without the fuel to do so.
I got offended because the user assumed that I am starving my animals (when I'm not) and making me out to sound like a person with a compulsive buying disorder (I'm not that either), especially since my father died last month and we're going through changes right now.
I know animals can't grow or live without food, I'm not stupid. The meat birds get fed twice a day plus treats and leftovers. All my birds get treats and leftovers so there's obviously no starvation occurring at our mini farm. "But it is the simple truth" yes, it is, that's why I feed my animals LOL.
They're not as big as they could be because they weren't being fed broiler feed. I'm not going to buy broiler feed now because they're gonna be processed either this week or next week. My mom hired a guy from a pet store to do the killing and it doesn't cost us a penny, we just give him two chickens and the chicken heads so he can feed the heads to his snakes. He has a huge bermese python is his shop!

What hatchery did they originally come from?

Um, some hatchery in Lancaster or Palmdale I think. I forgot what one of the workers said the name was but they apparently get all their live chicks from there. I'll have to research it because I do remember the worker making a gesture when he said the name of the hatchery, like a "that way" gesture by pointing his finger.
Some crappy hatchery though.. Lol. The "ameracaunas" we bought don't match any true colors actual ameracaunas have so I just call them EE's, the brahma layers are indeed big but they don't really look like brahmas beside a little bit of feathering on their feet, and the barred rocks are as hatchery looking as ever. I'm kind of glad I bought my heritage blue slate turkey from a rancher who breeds them instead of buying from hatchery because it's probably not even heritage then.

Um, some hatchery in Lancaster or Palmdale I think. I forgot what one of the workers said the name was but they apparently get all their live chicks from there. I'll have to research it because I do remember the worker making a gesture when he said the name of the hatchery, like a "that way" gesture by pointing his finger.

It can make a difference. There are more lines of CX out there than people think, and some don't perform as well as others. I'm not saying that IS your problem, but it could be.

It can make a difference. There are more lines of CX out there than people think, and some don't perform as well as others. I'm not saying that IS your problem, but it could be.

Actually I think it could be a part of the problem. A couple of the CX have developed beak problems. One has cross beak and the other one's lower beak is growing longer than the upper one. While that doesn't have to do with body size that indicates to me poor breeding.

Back
Top Bottom