They're not as big as I imagined them to be...

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
Mom bought 11 cornish crosses (broilers?) 6 weeks ago and according to the feed store worker we're supposed chop them up at 8-10 weeks. In 2 weeks will they get bigger? I mean they're heavy but when I pick them up or touch them I expect them to be.. Well, meatier. I think my production hens have more meat than them... They're way bigger than the meat birds too.
I also feel sorry for one that has developed cross beak, when people breed these birds shouldn't they weed out the ones with defects and faulty genes like that? He or she can eat fine but he/she looks like a derpy chicken.

What kind of meat am I looking at here? Like those small fried chicken legs? I remember eating a bbq chicken leg (or thigh, whatever) in Vegas and it was much larger than the fried chicken legs. The meat was so tender and tasty too
droolin.gif
I want THAT kind of meat chicken. It was awesome!

It seems like you are arguing with the people on here that are telling you that your feeding them the wrong thing after you asked why your birds were small,but fact is YOUR FEEDING THEM THE WRONG THING! If you want your birds to be to weight then you have to feed them a higher protein diet. IF finances are tight then you probably shouldn't raise more chickens then you can afford. broiler chickens require different nutritional needs then your laying hens,basically your starving your broilers and its affecting there growth.If your gonna be a responsible animal owner then do the right thing and make sure you can afford to raise them before you get them.

Hi, though I have yet to raise my own broilers, I have been told the amount of protein they get plays into their "meatiness." What kind of feed are they getting? Is food and clean water in front of them 24/7? Just some questions to get a better idea of your situation. Hope I can help. Ttyl.

When they were little fatsos they were getting chick feed mixed with game bird starter (because there's turkeys living with them) and when that ran out I switched to what my laying flock eats and that's lay mash. They also gets lots of greens, mealworms, and left overs.

From my own experience in raising dual purpose birds, there's a significant difference in protein between chick grower (which can contain between 20-23% protein) and layer feed (which usually contains just 16% protein). I'm unfamiliar with game bird feed. I read on another thread under meat bird etc that fermenting their feed/grains can increase the protein even more by 12%. I have yet to ferment food myself, but I see the importance of giving meat birds more protein so their food can go to developing their muscles. Do a search for grain fermenting or fermentation on this BYC forum and there is some great info on it. Hope this helps.

I have broilers that are 5weeks 4 days old. They are HUGE. We plan to process them at either 7 or 8 weeks old(havent decided yet) We feed ours broiler crumbles from Blue Seal, it is 22% protein and we also give them Broiler Booster(vitamins) in their water daily. It may be the food you are feeding them that is making them grow different the layer feed has too little protein and too much calcium for the young meat birds. DO you have a pic of them?

Here are mine at 5weeks old

We can only give them what we can afford since money is a little tight right now. So they might have to stick to layer feed
hmm.png
I'll get some pictures right away. They're also being raised with 6 week old EE and RIR chickens and two 12 week old turkey poults. They're a little bigger than the easter eggers..

We can only give them what we can afford since money is a little tight right now. So they might have to stick to layer feed
hmm.png
I'll get some pictures right away. They're also being raised with eleven 6 week old EE and RIR chickens and two 12 week old turkey poults. They're a little bigger than the easter eggers..
So there's no confusion, I meant the chickens are 6 weeks old. I edited it >.>

You might want to think about switching them over to a broiler feed. I know from experience that not all broiler feed is the same. Last month, we processed 48 birds and they were in the neighborhood of 6 - 7lbs per bird (dressed out) at about 7 - 8 weeks. I usually get the "straight run". For the first 5 days, they have food in front of them 24 hours. After 5 days, they have food for 12 hours, then no food for 12 hours. I usually them "treats" during the no food time.

hmm.png
I'll get some pictures right away. They're also being raised with 6 week old EE and RIR chickens and two 12 week old turkey poults. They're a little bigger than the easter eggers..
I am wondering if you could supplement their fed with something else to increase the protein levels. I have heard of people feeding their birds all sorts of things, from eggs to cat food etc.

Back
Top Bottom