They're scared but keep following me(Cockerels)

It's OK...I have 2 Lavendar Orpingtons that have waddles and combs which are brilliant red and a lesser rooster would envy but they are girls. Just because a comb exists doesn't mean they are definitively guys.

Besides that (the animal kingdom can be funny), I know you are trying to keep the ratio of cockerel to hen healthy and I'm glad you posted here!

It's OK...I have 2 Lavendar Orpingtons that have waddles and combs which are brilliant red and a lesser rooster would envy but they are girls. Just because a comb exists doesn't mean they are definitively guys.

Besides that (the animal kingdom can be funny), I know you are trying to keep the ratio of cockerel to hen healthy and I'm glad you posted here!
The other 2 polish are the same age and don't have combs.
Besides, when I need to breed the cockerels to one or two of the hens I will be putting those ones in a separate yard. Right now I already know who the top cockerel is, Little Man keeps his buddies in line whenever a scuffle starts between the 3 of them.

Also mentioned that only 2 of them will be with the hens. Didn't you read that part or skip it?? The third one will find a home or be kept indoors as a house chicken.
I am sorry if I upset you...I did read that 2 of the cockerels will be with the hens and that the third would be finding a new home. I know you want the best for your flock and I am sorry if you found my responses an attack...that was not my intentions. The pleas for information that was provided was what I responded to...3 or 2 cockerels to 10 hens is tricky...boys will be boys and will dominate/posses ALL of the girls and fight for that right

I am sorry if I upset you...I did read that 2 of the cockerels will be with the hens and that the third would be finding a new home. I know you want the best for your flock and I am sorry if you found my responses an attack...that was not my intentions. The pleas for information that was provided was what I responded to...3 or 2 cockerels to 10 hens is tricky...boys will be boys and will dominate/posses ALL of the girls and fight for that right
You didn't upset me at all! I know that people will continue to tell me that I should only keep 1 cockerel with few hens but I love all our birds dearly. Ever since I lost my favorite human-friendly non-aggressive cockerel last year due to an accident, I've been becoming more loving towards my new cockerels. Even though I free range them with supervision, I do plan on making sure the cockerels don't do anything terrible.
Besides, I'm getting more hens/pullets soon to add. I'm looking through my options for breeds due to the amount of standard hens/pullets we have. Since our cockerels are bantams, I want to give them more bantam hens/pullets.

I really hope others will chime in and help...I can tell you love your flock immensely and I want you to get the best advice possible. You are a good keeper and I want the best for you and your flock! If no response comes soon..re-post until you get some good/great feedback!

Only in rare circumstances having a chicken as a house pet is humane. If you have raised these cockerels outside and have been outside their entire lives, it would be very very inhumane to keep him indoors. There no grass or bugs or foraging space indoor. Usually the norm is around 1 cockerel for every 3 - 10 hens but 2 for 12 you could probably get away with.

Back
Top Bottom