They're scared but keep following me(Cockerels)

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but it is possible that the cockerels' following behind you behaviour is an early sign of impending aggression. Sometimes when a cockerel or rooster attacks a person he is sneaky about it, following then kicking at ankles from behind. They might be considering if you are a threat and keeping an eye on you, but are not yet bold enough to face you front on (hence why they run when you turn around). So I would keep an eye out for any other signs of aggression.

As for keeping all three cockerels, it is not usually recommended because there are most often problems with males fighting or overmating females. But it is possible for males raised together to get along OK. The only way to know is to try it and see what happens once they are all matured.

I once had a mature rooster and a cockerel (who was his son raised by a flock hen) live together for several months with only five hens and no problems. The younger cockerel came into his hormones but learnt his place as beta roo, and I free range so the hens were able to keep away from him. I ended up rehoming him at 9 months old only because the neighbours were getting fed up of double the crowing.
It's obvious that you didn't read that I said I wouldn't be keeping the 3rd cockerel.. I'm only keeping 2..
And we had a 7 month old cockerel last year who followed me around and didn't attack me at all.

Keeping three roosters together with that number of hens is entirely possible.... but it's absolutely dependant on the temperament of the roosters. Many, if not most cocks will fight each other for the hens. Many will also over mate the girls. Again, that depends on the rooster's temperament. My advice would be to wait and see how they behave as they mature, but be prepared to separate them if necessary. And really do watch the boys for signs of aggression towards you. Following you then running when you turn around could be a bad sign. I wish you lots of luck! :)
As I keep saying, I'm only keeping 2..
The 3rd one is going to be re-homed...

I don't cotton with cuddling cockerels, my techniques would not please the OP.
The human keepers behaviors are often the key thing to change.
Adding more females is rarely the answer.
Multiple males often cannot exist in the same space,
many have done it, but I don't have that experience.
I have five 12 week old cockerels right now, they will soon be stew.
Isn’t it natural for a flock to have multiple roosters, as long as there is space for them to escape.

Maybe consider penning the cockerels separately from the balance of the flock. Once they come into mature feather you can even separate the two males from each other. The better would only be introduced to females when hatching eggs are desired.

I have lots of cockerels, even cocks that will follow me around. In my context where I have control over their upbringing that is not an issue. I have had experience with them associating me with food and they learn they can get more quicker by harassing me. Once I figured that out the "feed-bucket" aggression ceased. With a couple I allowed it to continue to see what outcome would be. Those numb nuts became man-fighters (human aggressive) and I had to work to break that habit. Since I avoid putting out the feed when they rush me.

Some breeds, based on what I have seen locally to include Polish, are prone to be aggressive. I have not been able to determine if that is caused by the feed bucket deal, getting into pecking order challenges with males, or just genetics.

Penning will allow controlling some the interactions. Polish roosters, owing to their headgear are not going to be as good as most breads at warning flock of approaching threats anyway.

I would guess that @analyticalblonde 's concern is for your hens. Not competition between the cockrells. I have about 30 girls and one roo and my girls are STILL tired. The Roos can actually kill your girls if the ratio is off.

You didn't upset me at all! I know that people will continue to tell me that I should only keep 1 cockerel with few hens but I love all our birds dearly. Ever since I lost my favorite human-friendly non-aggressive cockerel last year due to an accident, I've been becoming more loving towards my new cockerels. Even though I free range them with supervision, I do plan on making sure the cockerels don't do anything terrible.
Besides, I'm getting more hens/pullets soon to add. I'm looking through my options for breeds due to the amount of standard hens/pullets we have. Since our cockerels are bantams, I want to give them more bantam hens/pullets.

My Roo is a bantam frizzle and he does just fine with full size girls. ALL my eggs are fertilized!

Since nobody has actually read my other posts. I'm putting it here..
I'm only keeping 2 of the cockerels.
I'm also getting more hens!!

OK- you also mentioned also that you plan to hatch eggs fertilized by your roos. What is your plan for the male chicks? It's completely possible to have 1 girl and 8 boys … 2 girls, 6 boys … 1 girl, 3 boys --- yep- all those happened to me -- they add up quickly... and homes for roos can be hard to come by.

Some do start a rooster flock, i.e. all boys.

Back
Top Bottom