They've grown up...now do they show OEB? Please help with breed identification of 16 week old hens

Lady of McCamley

Free Ranging
13 Years
Mar 19, 2011
NW Oregon
Can anyone tell me if these hens, particularly hen #1, have Standard Old English Game mixed in?

As some of you frequent members may remember, I hatched a batch of grab bag eggs that were supposed to be pure layer breeds, but I've found that they are definitely NOT pure and am trying to figure out what I've got.

We last best figured EE roo...but I'm now seeing OEG influence as several are developing eyebrow tufts (whatever the proper name is for that), so I'm leaning more towards game bird than EE mixes as none of them exhibit beards, muffs, or green legs.

Most of the photos are taken recently at 16 weeks, a few were taken at 10 weeks.

Thanks
Lady of McCamley (wondering what she's got in the coop)

Hen #1 She came from a typical large brown egg like a RIR would lay and was a chipmunk chick. She is large but thinner and lanky, however not lightweight in build, and very tall. She is flighty but will sit in the nest rather than roost even when there are plenty of roosting spots with no competition, and is not excessively restless. I was thinking originally Welsummer/RIR as she looked so similar to mine, then she grew so lanky...so I though maybe Brown Leghorn. But she has hardly any comb and clear eyebrow tufts. Her small single comb goes up her head in a thin line to end in a single comb cluster at her crown (not a buttercup, not rose, not walnut...still single comb).

Hen #2 is the left hen. She has a rose comb, very small eyebrow tufts and came from a small light beige egg and was a classic chimpunk chick (the one in my avatar). I really thought she was an EE because she appeared to have a bit of beard/muff, however she has no signs of that now. She is the most tame of the bunch (they were raised by a broody and not hand raised tame therefore all are somewhat skittish towards people). I was thinking #2 was a Wyandotte mix with EE but with the eyebrow tufts am now thinking possibly OEG????

and finally hen #3 is clearly game bird of some sort. She came from a small light beige egg and had black face and comb as a chick so I was thinking Sumatra/EE but her comb has turned red and her ear lobes look white and there is now no sign of black on comb/lobes. Could she have OEG instead? She is the flightiest of them all. She will fly into a tree or top of the coop to roost. I've clipped her wings to keep her on the property. She is not aggressive in any way though. She is fast as lightening on her feet (I may name her Road Runner...where is that Wylie Coyote???)

at 10 weeks...face and lobes still darker but have turned red with now what appears to be white at the lobe. Maybe still Sumatra mix???

Thanks for your thoughts.
Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
Good morning,
I think you are spot-on with chick #1 - she certainly looks Welsummer to me. In fact, with mine going through the molt currently, they could be sisters! I'm afraid I have no clue with the others, but love the pix. Good luck with your detective work, Sue

Good morning,
                       I think you are spot-on with chick #1 - she certainly looks Welsummer to me. In fact, with mine going through the molt currently, they could be sisters!  I'm afraid I have no clue with the others, but love the pix. Good luck with your detective work, Sue

Thank you for your response. I would love for her to be a Welsummer as I really want one and your post gives me hope. Unfortunately I doubt she is pure as her colors are off and she has those eyebrow tufts like a game bird. I may never know unless she lays dark eggs.
thanks again.
Lady of McCamley

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom