Thick Black Scab on Hen’s Leg

Hannahshappyhen

Hatching
Aug 27, 2021
Have a cross breed hen that I purchased from a poultry auction over a year ago. I have no idea about her history before living with me or how old she is. I bought two hens that looks identical, the other is healthy and happy. Both of the hens are extremely flighty and tend to stay away from people, unlike most of my other hens. That is the reason that I think I missed the scab thing growing on her leg until a few weeks ago. I finally got her off the roost tonight and brought her in to examine. At first glance the black lump on her leg looked like a really think hard scab. Then I realized that there was clear liquid oozing out of it at the bottom. Gross! I also noticed that she has three other smaller spots of the same thing on both legs. I soaked her in the sink with warm water and Epsom salts for about a half hour and then slathered her legs in baby oil. I then carefully tried to remove the thick part of the scab that was now soft to see the condition of the tissue underneath. The entire scab ended up coming off in one chunk and I put antibiotic cream and scarlet oil on the spot after cleaning it with peroxide and wrapped it up for the night. I know her leg is extremely sore and I am just
baffeled as to what caused this and/or if it’s something that will ever heal. She never had any noticeable injuries to her legs although she has been treated a few times for scaly leg mites. I included a picture of the wound that was hiding under the scab and then a cross section of the scab cut in half. Wondering what anyone thinks? Could this be some type of cancer or just an infected abrasion?
AAC58227-45CC-42FF-B444-8018C4730CC4.jpeg
06EE79FF-0F10-460A-87C2-A85F13E35A1B.jpeg

Welcome To BYC

Can you get a photo further away so we can see both her legs and feet?
Any photos of what it looked like before you got that off?

To me, it looks like you pulled away a large debris deposit from Scaly Leg Mites.

If it's from SLM or injury, then it should heal up ok if you tend to the wound daily. Keep clean and apply your ointment. Once scabbed back over, I would leave it uncovered unless she's bothering it.

Welcome To BYC

Can you get a photo further away so we can see both her legs and feet?
Any photos of what it looked like before you got that off?

To me, it looks like you pulled away a large debris deposit from Scaly Leg Mites.

If it's from SLM or injury, then it should heal up ok if you tend to the wound daily. Keep clean and apply your ointment. Once scabbed back over, I would leave it uncovered unless she's bothering it.
I did not get a picture before I started (wish I had) I have hopes it scabs over and just heals. I will take some more photos when I change her bandage. Thank you for the quick response!

Here is an updated photo I took today when I changed her bandage. The bloody area is actually thick blood clot it is not actively bleeding. I rinsed the leg with antiseptic wash and rewrapped her with new ointment. She’s eating and acting normally. I also did my best to take a photo of her other leg where you can see a much smaller spot of the same scab type. She has 3 spots of these scabs, I just couldn’t find an angle where more than one was visible in the photo. If this is SLM, do those scab deposits have to be removed in order for healing or will they fall off on their own eventually?
F970892B-A53F-4588-8D3D-6E0EAA197889.jpeg

Attachments

• E6ADBEC2-74E4-4BEF-96EC-8F20DD29F9BA.jpeg
    E6ADBEC2-74E4-4BEF-96EC-8F20DD29F9BA.jpeg
    518.9 KB · Views: 24
Those scabs look like SLM scabs to me. They should fall off on their own since you are taking care of the legs.
I would apply a little vaseline or triple antibiotic ointment to those scabsthat are still on the legs. Work the vaseline/ointment into all the legs and toes too just in case there's still active SLM. Looks like she's lost most all her scales, so I wonder if she was treated before you got her.

Does the wound seem to be closing up? Hard to tell with the blood clot.

Here is an updated photo I took today when I changed her bandage. The bloody area is actually thick blood clot it is not actively bleeding. I rinsed the leg with antiseptic wash and rewrapped her with new ointment. She’s eating and acting normally. I also did my best to take a photo of her other leg where you can see a much smaller spot of the same scab type. She has 3 spots of these scabs, I just couldn’t find an angle where more than one was visible in the photo. If this is SLM, do those scab deposits have to be removed in order for healing or will they fall off on their own eventually?View attachment 2816184
Is that in her “spur” area? Is she missing part of her toe/toenail?

Those scabs look like SLM scabs to me. They should fall off on their own since you are taking care of the legs.
I would apply a little vaseline or triple antibiotic ointment to those scabsthat are still on the legs. Work the vaseline/ointment into all the legs and toes too just in case there's still active SLM. Looks like she's lost most all her scales, so I wonder if she was treated before you got her.

Does the wound seem to be closing up? Hard to tell with the blood clot.
I didn’t remove the blood clot because I did not want to make it start to bleed but it does make it tougher to assess the wound. It’s definitely not worse and I do think the part of the wound that wraps around her leg looks like healthier tissue. I will continue to change the bandage and put Vaseline on both of the legs to ensure there is no more SLM. Thanks for your help! It’s nice to bounce ideas off someone else and have peace of mind that I’m doing something right:)

Back
Top Bottom