Thick, nasty nails

Angelight

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 4, 2012
I just purchased a barred rock hen this afternoon. She has very thick nails, feces all over her rear... Poor thing looks healthy overall, just a couple of issues. I'm hoping that after a couple of weeks with me (a bath and some nail trimming, too) she'll be much better off. I've read to cut chicken's nails like a dog's, with the same clippers, but to only do the tips. What if they're an inch or so long? Just keep doing the tip until I get it close enough? And if I find that the quick has grown an inch out? It is obvious that it is affecting her walking so it can't just be ignored. Thanks, in advance!

If you cut just a little off the end then trim again in a week doing the same thing you can eventually get the nails back to a proper length, at least that's what works for dogs. Chickens with dirt to scratch in should be able to keep their nails worn down to a suitable natural length. Remember they need a nice long nail to scratch hard dirt into a soft dustbath and to find goodies in the soil.

Back
Top Bottom