Thick rubbery membrane? Post hatch question...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lutz123, Jun 6, 2011.

1. lutz123

lutz123 Chillin' With My Peeps

I hatched Marans this week (FBC), and 3 out of 4 that went into lockdown hatched. The first was fine. The second pipped a large hole (quarter sized) and I ended up assisting after it was clearly not making progress. It was fine and huge. There was no way it could have zipped. I had to help with the membrane too (as it struggled) and it wasn't difficult to tear. The third pipped and zipped a little but then quit - lots of peeping but no substantial movement. I wasn't surprised since I had opened the incubator the day before twice (to help the hatch and put it back in). I helped again (first zipping and putting back, then hatching). The membrane seemed thicker, but not terribly dry. It had a more rubbery feel. Is that likely due to the humidity drop, or could it be that the membrane was thicker. This last chick was tiny but vigorous. I have no doubt that it had room to zip so I'm guessing the membrane was a little sticky?

This is my first successful hatch, and I know that after several I would be able to identify this pretty easily. Both chicks that I helped were definitely ready. The first one took a couple of hours to detach the yolk sac, but the second one just popped right out fully detached. I'm concerned though that I had to help 2 out of 4 eggs that hatched. The brahma was early and quick. Do Marans more often need assistance?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by