Thick scaley legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tuffy, Jul 20, 2010.

1. tuffy

tuffy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Does anyone know why only some of my hens have thick scaly legs? I have never seen mites on them or in the coop but I supose they could be there. I have 30 chickens and about 10 of them are affected. The hens are not all the same breed or age that are affected. What gives?? Is it necessary to do something about this? They all seem to walk, roost just fine. Thanks

2. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    yeah you have to address it. ima bout at that point. when i was more green i didnt quarentine new chickens and its to the point where one of my girls is missing scales, i used a new soft tookbrush and epsom salts. drew a leg bath with the salts, let her soak for 5-10 mins. got her out ans toothbrushed her whole shanks, some scales detatched.. i rubbed in vaseline real good and globbed it on well too. as i waqs massaging it in, i saw plump little red thing( mites) on her legs. ick!!!!!

im beginning to realize what work it is to acquire grown chickens!!!

the same chickens i got in her group from the same girl have bumble foot and leg mites. another batch brought lice.

lessons learned the hard way!!

3. 500592

500592 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    i agree with the post above me good luck

4. tuffy

tuffy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    How can you possibly get every single mite out of the coop? How do you think the large facilities keep these pests at bay?

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

To treat them as radically as you can without affecting egg eddibility, get some Adams flea and tick dip. Mix it up as directed in a 5 gallon bucket, and proceed to dip EVERY bird on the place. Do it on a warm morning so they have a warm day to dry. Mix more and spray everything, nests, roost, floor, and walls. Adams will kill all external mites/lice/fleas/etc and protect them for a month. You can smell it on them that long. If all they have is leg mites, anykind of oil will kill them, from burnt motor oil toWD-40 to Vasaline, as suggested. Don`t forget to treat the roost.........Pop

6. Julie Glen

Julie Glen New Egg

Aug 17, 2012
    Its odd only one of my girls has it
    I have rubbed the affected chook with Manuka Cream and dosed them all with Homoeopathic Sulfur
    I am hopefull she will come right now She is walking about much better
    Hoping the Sulfur will prevent the others from getting it
    Also cleaned out the coop and put new straw down

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by