Thieving Banny Hen! :-)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SoCalChick, Jan 5, 2010.

1. SoCalChick

SoCalChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    My sweet Banny hen two days ago went broody (not so sweet when broody) - I checked under her and she has 2 eggs. [​IMG] . I went and checked on her today lifted her up and she was siting on 16 eggs! [​IMG]
    The lol part is she is the only banny - ALL the rest of my chickens are LARGE Orp's and cochins with big eggs. She's barely big enought to cover them.

Somehow she has threated all the girls to lay their eggs in HER box. [​IMG]

Can i mark eggs with a sharpie marker - or will it have effect on the eggs?

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    HILLARIOUS!! I wouldn't use a sharpie, it bleeds through paper, will surely get into a porous egg as well. Opt for a number 2 pencil [​IMG]

3. SoCalChick

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    i tried marking with a pencil - but it has already worn off - any other ideas?

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Charcoal art pencil or wax pencil. Why are you marking them for a broody hen anyway? Just curious [​IMG]

5. SoCalChick

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    Marking them because when she get down to eat or drink my other chickens jump up there and start laying more eggs. And i need to know which eggs are fresh so I can remove them.

6. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    A wax pencil might be good for eggs! Maybe, anyway, as I know wax melts... Ah, I'm not sure! I know I've seen marked eggs, though, so I'm certain there's something okay to use.

And haha, it must have been quite the sight seeing her on all those huge eggs! It is really funny when broody hens steal all the eggs. [​IMG] I'd go through and candle them in a few days and see what's growing and what isn't. Remove anything that isn't, leave whatever is. Good luck, I hope she hatches something! I've got a broody right now myself... Based off my candling efforts, I think she'll be hatching some chicks within the week if all goes well. [​IMG]

7. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    16 eggs! [​IMG]

Use pencil...mark the ends instead of the sides. That way it won't get rubbed off. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by