Thieving Banny Hen! :-)

SoCalChick

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
Valley Center, CA
My sweet Banny hen two days ago went broody (not so sweet when broody) - I checked under her and she has 2 eggs.
celebrate.gif
. I went and checked on her today lifted her up and she was siting on 16 eggs!
ep.gif

The lol part is she is the only banny - ALL the rest of my chickens are LARGE Orp's and cochins with big eggs. She's barely big enought to cover them.

Somehow she has threated all the girls to lay their eggs in HER box.
lau.gif

Can i mark eggs with a sharpie marker - or will it have effect on the eggs?

HILLARIOUS!! I wouldn't use a sharpie, it bleeds through paper, will surely get into a porous egg as well. Opt for a number 2 pencil
big_smile.png

Marking them because when she get down to eat or drink my other chickens jump up there and start laying more eggs. And i need to know which eggs are fresh so I can remove them.

A wax pencil might be good for eggs! Maybe, anyway, as I know wax melts... Ah, I'm not sure! I know I've seen marked eggs, though, so I'm certain there's something okay to use.

And haha, it must have been quite the sight seeing her on all those huge eggs! It is really funny when broody hens steal all the eggs.
gig.gif
I'd go through and candle them in a few days and see what's growing and what isn't. Remove anything that isn't, leave whatever is. Good luck, I hope she hatches something! I've got a broody right now myself... Based off my candling efforts, I think she'll be hatching some chicks within the week if all goes well.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom