Thin eggshell

RM Teacher

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 25, 2014
My chicken are laying eggs with a rather thin shell. They are fed in my opinion a healthy balanced diet in order to provide enough calcium. Nevertheless, the eggshell is still thin. Could it be the time of year due to lack of sunlight? or is it something else?
I would appriciate if there is anybody who has some idea to solve my problem.
Thank you for your help
from
RM Teacher

My chicken are laying eggs with a rather thin shell. They are fed in my opinion a healthy balanced diet in order to provide enough calcium. Nevertheless, the eggshell is still thin. Could it be the time of year due to lack of sunlight? or is it something else?
I would appriciate if there is anybody who has some idea to solve my problem.
Thank you for your help
from
RM Teacher

Without knowing what the "healthy balanced diet" is there is no way to offer suggestions -- what are you feeding? How long have you been seeing the thin shells? Had they been laying eggs with better shells that have degraded or have they been laying only thin shells as long as they have been in production?

Hi Ol Grey Mare,
Thank you for your reply
I always feed them with special Layers Mash and they get their treats to make their diet more interesting. It never caused a problem. Maybe it is only a short term problem and it will sort itself. I was just curious if there are any obvious shortcomings from my side, which caused this problem.

RM Teacher

Usually any layer feed has the correct calcium percentage for hens that are eating only that feed and nothing else. The more treats or other food you give them, the lower the calcium percentage gets. Break up a few eggshells into small bits and give it to them. If they eat it like ravenous tyrannosauruses then you know they are short of calcium and you'll need to give them a constant source of eggshell and/or seashell. Although you said that their diet has never caused a problem before, that's likely because the hen's system will rob her bones for the calcium needed by the shell gland. After a while though, this cannot be sustained which is why you're seeing thin shells now; they are making shells with only the calcium in their diet (which isn't enough) because their bones won't give up more.

Basically, laying hens should always be given extra calcium free choice, it's no hassle, it's cheap, and it ensures their eggs and bones are healthy and strong.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback Tamara119. I already have given them eggshells, which produced a stronger eggshell.
Thanks again,
RM Teacher

Back
Top Bottom