Thin, not laying

chickencutie

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Worth
I adopted an egger last year, she’s about to turn 5 years old. I was told she is not the most consistent layer. This year she started the laying season pretty strong, about every other day. All normal shelled eggs. It’s now been about two weeks since she’s laid at all, and she seems pretty sharp on the keel. Still eating and drinking and zooming around. My first thought was worms, anything else to consider?

It could just be her moulting. Have you found any of her feathers scattered around the coop? If you pick her up is she kind of featherless? Does she feel different when you pat her? My chickens all stop laying when they’re moulting. They also start to look very thin and ratty.

Age is a big thing to consider, a lot of hens may not really lay much after 3 years old or so. Some stop entirely, some lay for a long time.

What has she been eating? Does she get enough food? Maybe the others are harassing/bullying her away from the food or eating most of it before she can get to it. Worms are a good consideration (I dont know much about them, hopefully someone else can help a bit more!)

Can you post some photos of her and her poo? That would give more info than trying to guess. It could be a bully or a number of medical problems. I would try to feed her scrambled eggs away from the flock to boost her up. Can you put out a few extra feeders that are out of sight of each other. That way she can grab a meal easier if it is a bully.

It could just be her moulting. Have you found any of her feathers scattered around the coop? If you pick her up is she kind of featherless? Does she feel different when you pat her? My chickens all stop laying when they’re moulting. They also start to look very thin and ratty.
Definitely not moulting, she’s fully fluffed and beautiful haha
Age is a big thing to consider, a lot of hens may not really lay much after 3 years old or so. Some stop entirely, some lay for a long time.

What has she been eating? Does she get enough food? Maybe the others are harassing/bullying her away from the food or eating most of it before she can get to it. Worms are a good consideration (I dont know much about them, hopefully someone else can help a bit more!)
She actually is the bully, so I’m surprised she’s so skinny. They free range as well as get layer pellet and some veggie snacks. I’ve just lost a hen to cancer and I’m afraid I haven’t been keeping a closer watch on the other girls the last few weeks since I was so focused on my sick girl.

Can you post some photos of her and her poo? That would give more info than trying to guess. It could be a bully or a number of medical problems. I would try to feed her scrambled eggs away from the flock to boost her up. Can you put out a few extra feeders that are out of sight of each other. That way she can grab a meal easier if it is a bully.
She’s the bully so there shouldn’t be a problem there.

Attachments

• A43E2CBC-9834-4A03-8C47-D230960896CF.jpeg
    A43E2CBC-9834-4A03-8C47-D230960896CF.jpeg
    583.3 KB · Views: 1
  • D41786D1-210E-4CBF-B406-CADE2AB2DE9C.jpeg
    D41786D1-210E-4CBF-B406-CADE2AB2DE9C.jpeg
    552.5 KB · Views: 1
  • F9C010B1-16DC-4017-B5E2-4B9694156121.jpeg
    F9C010B1-16DC-4017-B5E2-4B9694156121.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 1
  • B9451884-634B-417C-838C-9299BAFFA359.jpeg
    B9451884-634B-417C-838C-9299BAFFA359.jpeg
    484.4 KB · Views: 1
Update- ran a fecal, it is not worms. Any idea what would cause weight loss, disinterest in food, and subdued behavior? I wouldn’t say she’s lethargic but she’s not quite herself either.

Could definitely be age. I also wouldnt brush off molting. My EE had stopped laying and looked like she was losing a ton of weight. Well, she was molting. Shes just so fluffy that I didnt realize it until her face started losing feathers.

Back
Top Bottom