thin shelled eggs

anjaolson

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
One of my chickens laid 2 eggs this morning that has extremely thin shells. She eats the same things my other two chickens eat. Any ideas on what is going on? She has laid thin shelled eggs before periodically.

One chicken laid TWO eggs in a day? Hmmm, that may cause a thin shell in itself.

Are you offering any Oyster shell or some other calcium? My chickens love the Oyster Shell I am getting from a local Sushi Restaurant, I have to use a hammer to break them into tiny pieces, but they really like these much better than the ones I was getting at the feedstore. I have noticed a big difference in the hardness of the shells now after only a month of the new Oyster Shell I am giving them.

Last edited:
I had the same problem, but NONE of mine were ever willing to eat the pre-crushed oyster shell available at stores. My parents have a place on the beach, and when visiting there once I realized that there were oyster shells all over the place. Did a lot of research, and eventually found that they shouldn't pose any risk as long as I boil them at least 3 min (I go at least 5). Like rebbetzin, I go out every few days with a handful of shells and a hammer, and crush enough to last until my next "crushing". (I have a little hand broom/dustpan that I sweep it up with and pour it all into a feed bowl.) If they even see me pick up the hammer they all come running (singing all the way)---I actually have to use one hand to block their beaks away while the other hand hammers shells, they're so excited by it (despite the fact that we go through the process several times a week!)! If I miss a day and the bowl is empty when I get there, the girls consume much more than they do otherwise, so I fully believe that the level of their craving for oyster shell is directly proportional to their bodies' need for calcium at the time! AND AS FAR AS SHELL STRENGTH GOES....my Dad recently "complained"
wink.png
that it takes too much work to crack the eggs we give him!!!

we feed ours oyster shells crushed and sometimes whole ones and they peck the whole ones until they have compltely disapeared i have heard it helps make their beaks stronger too. and we also do feed them the shells back after we eat the eggs its a free way of getting them calcium that is the most likely problem with having thin shells

Back
Top Bottom