Thin-shelled eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by krusty50, Mar 9, 2013.

1. krusty50

krusty50 New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    One of my chickens has always laid much larger eggs than her companions. She is a white sexlink crossed with a red. Her egg production slowed the most during the winter, and now that she is laying more consistently, her shells are very thin. All of the girls have access to oyster shells. She also appears to be molting. Should I be concerned?

2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Do you mix the oyster shells in with their feed? Not sure why just one would lay thin shells. I believe standard layer feed also has calcium if that is what you feed.

[​IMG]

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    An egg shell contains about 2g of calcium regardless of egg size. Therefore, a smaller egg will always have a harder shell than a very large one. Since your hen has always laid larger eggs, it makes sense that her egg shells will be thinner. Also, it sounds as if she's an older hen. Calcium absorption is reduced in older hens, so they can lay thinner shelled eggs. You can give her more calcium, and it might help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by