Thin shelled eggs

One of my BSL just came back after 4-5 weeks of molting and two eggs in two days have cracks and actually a small opening at the pointy end of the egg. My wife said we'd better not eat it, so we threw them away. Is this a result of the molt?

One of my BSL just came back after 4-5 weeks of molting and two eggs in two days have cracks and actually a small opening at the pointy end of the egg. My wife said we'd better not eat it, so we threw them away. Is this a result of the molt?
Could be, what are you feeding them and what were they getting fed during molt?
Brand of feed, protein amount, what was/ are you feeding other than there regular feed?

I never changed their feed during the molt, same lay mixture they've been eating since they started laying in April.

WOW ! didn't know that. I've got 2 birds, one went into molt and the other didn't, so I let them eat the same as always. Live and learn. So do you thing this weak egg thing is only temporary?

It could be temporary, depending on extent of damage, if any.
Calcium isn't the only nutrient important in shell quality. Phosphorus, vitamin D3 and to some extent magnesium are also important but they must be at the correct ratio.
Many people feed layer to their whole adult flocks and claim they don't have problems. But then a bird dies and they don't know why. They don't get a necropsy and shrug their shoulders. If the problem is kidney damage and gout, they don't show illness, they just die. With 2 kidneys and 3 divisions each, there can be significant damage and they'll function well with 2 functioning divisions.

http://ps.oxfordjournals.org/content/64/12/2300.abstract
http://nhjy.hzau.edu.cn/kech/synkx/dong/2bao/UrolithiasisChina.pdf
http://ps.oxfordjournals.org/content/67/12/1694.abstract

Egg farms don't have an issue with this. Their birds are all the same age, photostimulated to commence lay at the same time, they switch them to 4% calcium and they butcher them all 18-24 months later.

Last edited:
Many people feed layer to their whole adult flocks and claim they don't have problems. But then a bird dies and they don't know why. They don't get a necropsy and shrug their shoulders. If the problem is kidney damage and gout, they don't show illness, they just die. With 2 kidneys and 3 divisions each, there can be significant damage and they'll function well with 2 functioning divisions.

http://ps.oxfordjournals.org/content/64/12/2300.abstract

http://nhjy.hzau.edu.cn/kech/synkx/dong/2bao/UrolithiasisChina.pdf
http://ps.oxfordjournals.org/content/67/12/1694.abstract

With the utmost respect to this poster for referencing scientific studies (kudos!), the devil's in the details. These experimental studies were examining diets that were deliberately manipulated to test the limits of gross mineral imbalances; for example, a high-calcium, low-phosphorus diet.

Grains are naturally high in phosphorus and low in calcium, so grain-based feeds or feeds in which some sort of grain is listed in the first 2 or 3 ingredients, are the opposite of that particular experimental ration. In fact, grain-based feeds need to be supplemented with a source of calcium, or they can cause calcium deficiency.

Scientific studies are important for our understanding of species-specific physiology and pathology. However, not every finding is directly applicable to real-life situations. For example, a backyard hen fed a well-formulated commercial layer ration as the basis of her diet would be very unlikely to find herself in such a situation (too much calcium, too little phosphorus for her needs).

In my considered opinion, once a backyard hen has started laying, it's probably best to continue to feed her a layer ration for the rest of her working life, even when she's temporarily off the lay. We have no way of knowing how much calcium and phosphorus she's taken from her bone stores during her laying season, so for the short time she's molting and laying little or nothing, it shouldn't hurt for her to remain on a layer ration, and it may be of some benefit if it replenishes her bone mineral stores.

I think the more important nutrient during a molt is protein, because the hen needs to produce a lot of feathers in a fairly short space of time. (At least, I want her to, which is not quite the same thing :) There, too, the layer ration should fit the bill, although if the flockmaster has youngsters as well and some grower ration on hand, that might be an even better option for a molting hen - although it, too, will contain supplemental calcium.

Just another perspective to consider.

Last edited:
I am glad to see both of the above posts. I never even considered that my molting hens may be getting too much calcium in their diet while they were molting and not laying eggs. We have been feeding layer ration with supplemental free choice oyster shell and insoluable granite grit since the hens were old enough to warrant the switch from starter ration. We also free range our hens when the weather allows and if it doesn't we supplement with some sort of leafy greens. With 17 hens it is impossible to feed those that are molting one feed and those that are laying another without separating them. We do not have alternate housing. Hopefully we aren't doing damage to those hens that are/have been molting by feeding the same ration.

Ahhh....always so much to learn. I do not like being ignorant with respect to the health and well being of the animals in my care. We should have done way more research on owning and caring for chickens LONG before we ordered the chicks last Spring. I thought that my DH had all his "ducks in a row" so to speak.. Guess not.
barnie.gif

I never even considered that my molting hens may be getting too much calcium in their diet while they were molting and not laying eggs. … Hopefully we aren't doing damage to those hens that are/have been molting by feeding the same ration.

That's just my point: I don't think you are in any danger of that with your flock. So, DH can probably come off that hook
sickbyc.gif

I'll report back in a few days, when I know whether or not the feed change has made a difference. If it is simply a feed problem, then shell quality should improve pretty quickly.

As promised, an update: I just collected 4 eggs with lovely, strong shells (I have 6 hens). It's been 5 days since I switched to the different brand of layer ration. I've also been feeding them some yoghurt for the past few days.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun and tomorrow there'll be more broken eggs, but for now I'm cautiously optimistic that the problem has been identified (inadequate calcium +/- protein) and resolved.

Hope I didn't just jinx myself…
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom