Thin-shelled, pale eggs

I'm sure they are stressed about being in the small covered run. They usually have about 1,000 square feet with plants and a boulder they like to climb on! We've been wanting to build a new coop with a bigger covered run, but got discouraged about the chicken ordinance where we live. We need a variance to put it anywhere that isn't directly out our back door (basically where our back porch is!) and it's...a process. I've been trying to figure out something temporary within constraints of the budget and rodent pressure so it needs to be rat-proof.

She hasn't molted yet and her feathers look AWFUL. I was giving them a bit of veg in a peck toy for forage/enrichment, but it sounds like maybe I should give that a break while figuring this out because it's not as nutritious? Honestly, I'm not sure how much she's eating. I brought her inside about an hour ago for a snack and her crop was empty, though I've checked at other times to find it full. I think I need to bring her in for snacks multiple times a day while I work on this.

Thanks for your input!
Check her condition at the breast to know whether she's losing weight. The keel bone should not be overly prominent and this is always best to check against a known healthy bird of the same body type as it's a bit of a sliding scale. Heavy production light breeds will have a more prominent keel and less muscled than a heavy breed hen.

The chicken that you lost to an abdominal mass... Did you have a necropsy done?

I see someone else mentioned stopping feeding daily treats... I too would suggest that.
Feeding treats is taking away from the bird getting a balanced diet.
The commercially made age appropriate chicken crumbled or pelleted food is a balanced diet.
Not feeding a balanced diet causes deadly reproductive disorders like abdominal masses.

Check her condition at the breast to know whether she's losing weight. The keel bone should not be overly prominent and this is always best to check against a known healthy bird of the same body type as it's a bit of a sliding scale. Heavy production light breeds will have a more prominent keel and less muscled than a heavy breed hen.
Unfortunately, I only have one of each breed. However, I think her keel is quite prominent and she's only 3 pounds when supposedly NHR hens are supposed to be about 6 pounds. Even if she were just a smaller one, 1/2 the standard weight seems pretty off! (I will also say the scale is new and inexpensive, I don't know yet how consistent it is. Today she appeared to weigh 600g more.)

The chicken that you lost to an abdominal mass... Did you have a necropsy done?

I see someone else mentioned stopping feeding daily treats... I too would suggest that.
Feeding treats is taking away from the bird getting a balanced diet.
The commercially made age appropriate chicken crumbled or pelleted food is a balanced diet.
Not feeding a balanced diet causes deadly reproductive disorders like abdominal masses.
Thank you for your reply! Sadly, I did not have a necropsy done. My normal vet is not seeing poultry right now due to HPAI and they have previously done an in-house necropsy for me while still allowing me to get the chicken's ashes back. (I know, it's sentimentality over information.)

I don't do treats daily and it's never a lot. I also don't do anything like scratch, bread, or processed foods. I admit I find it a bit confusing that free-ranging and eating plants and bugs is good, but eating a bit of kale and bugs is bad. What is the difference there? I know they aren't getting as much exercise as they used to, so that's definitely an issue. I don't mean to argue with you, it genuinely confuses me. Whenever I see people saying they save money by feeding whatever leftovers they have...I could never do that. I know the All Flock is higher in protein (20%) than layer (16%.) Could that contribute to a mass?

Thanks again for your help! I always want to learn more and help them stay healthy.

I must have missed that you have one that doesn't lay at all.

That makes things a bit trickier if trying to feed 2 different kinds of feed.

I wouldn't think switching for a few weeks would harm the non layer. It may give more to go on if the shells improve for the others.

I would do it.
I picked some up today. Thank you!

Do you provide oyster shell free choice? That might help if you don't do layer feed. That's what I do because I have breeds that aren't heavy layers and also some older birds mixed with younger. I provide two feed stations as well.

Do you provide oyster shell free choice? That might help if you don't do layer feed. That's what I do because I have breeds that aren't heavy layers and also some older birds mixed with younger. I provide two feed stations as well.
I do provide oyster shell, but I never see them eat it. Obviously, I'm not watching them all the time so they could be eating it when I'm not there. It's hard to tell because they love to throw it on the ground. I definitely need to find a way to add another feeder. Thank you!

I do provide oyster shell, but I never see them eat it. Obviously, I'm not watching them all the time so they could be eating it when I'm not there. It's hard to tell because they love to throw it on the ground. I definitely need to find a way to add another feeder. Thank you!
I watch who goes crazy and digs in when I pour the oyster shell but I sometimes provide layer feed if I start getting thin-shelled eggs

Back
Top Bottom