Things I do after thirty years with chickens

The shrimp tails from lunch along with a withered apple and some table scraps went into the blender then sprinkled with wheat bran and meal worms! Lunch! 🤣🐥🌞

Attachments

• 8BC4F709-67E2-4671-94E0-4841A7456869.jpeg
    8BC4F709-67E2-4671-94E0-4841A7456869.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 18
mine started to get a taste for polystyrene. Chickens are so predictable aren't they... As soon as they discovered a tiny corner to peck at they went for it. They took a right little chunk out of their brooder so I covered it with tape, next all I hear is 3 of them going for the tape, once I see they had figure out how to peel off the tape I had it, out came the water spray bottle, 3 more attempt with a warning spray and they got the message but I think it is time to rehouse them into a bigger container here soon.

Good morning and I hope your chickens outnumber your troubles!

Its 68 here today so the birds are loving life in the “tractor”
It is a work in progress but I dont use the garden trailer often so I am going to try and build them a two level coop on it so I can move them around with the riding mower!

They continue to love the milk jug water bowls and they take dust baths daily in the dirt in the floor of the trailer.

‘What if these are the good old days...’

Attachments

• E375A3B1-6F3E-47EE-814A-970B13C21D1C.jpeg
    E375A3B1-6F3E-47EE-814A-970B13C21D1C.jpeg
    629.6 KB · Views: 16
mine started to get a taste for polystyrene. Chickens are so predictable aren't they... As soon as they discovered a tiny corner to peck at they went for it. They took a right little chunk out of their brooder so I covered it with tape, next all I hear is 3 of them going for the tape, once I see they had figure out how to peel off the tape I had it, out came the water spray bottle, 3 more attempt with a warning spray and they got the message but I think it is time to rehouse them into a bigger container here soon.
Poly styrene is like chicken drugs!!! However my personal experience which has involved hundreds of birds, never had a bird pass of eating “the white stuff” but I dont use it anymore unless I can completely encase it in wood or metal!

On a side not, mealworms will eat it if its the only thing available and chickens love mealworms so... I love watching them eat meal worms and crickets. I can usually get a discount on dead ones from the local pet store. Great protein!

I thought I would skip chickens since they were encouraging coyotes but found I miss their company in the gardens. We now have a Great Pyrenees LivestockGuardianDog they seems to keep the Coyotes at bay. Stumbled on a local post for 3 week old chicks. I jumped on the chance for these 8 chicks! I can’t believe how happy they make me feel!!! Their joyful chirps and continuous antics make me forget house work!

Attachments

• 05C5288C-07F6-4910-A1FE-CBB2041B01BD.jpeg
    05C5288C-07F6-4910-A1FE-CBB2041B01BD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
4 months and 3 weeks from their hatch day and 3-4 of the pullets are already laying. I am looking forward to my first shot at hatching sex linked chicks and some olive egger layers. I have a Black copper marans olive egger over 2 cuckoo marans, 2 easter Eggers and a brown leghorn. It should be an interesting mix. This is how I always end up with too many birds!

I grow sweet potato vines started from the cut off ends. They love the greens. I like watching things grow.

I found some serama chicks on Craigslist and oh boy I am in love. I am probably going to start another thread just for them but teeny chickens that love being held and brushed!?!?! 😍🐔

I hope your blessings outnumber your troubles and if not, get a few (more)chickens to ease your suffering....

Attachments

• 20210622_070610.jpg
    20210622_070610.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210601_114433.jpg
    20210601_114433.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 8
Love some Seramas they are so cute and tiny. I have 2 OEGB and they are tiny but not fond of being held and brushed. lol

Have a question though to an old time chicken raiser, I have 6 chicks a week old in a large brooder they have managed to empty 2 different kinds of feeders which means spilled feed and chick poop don't mix well so alot of feed getting wasted. Their one feeder is the long plastic one where they stick their heads through and eat. The other is the small feeder that you pour the feed through the top and it comes out into the bottom round dish attached, Both they empty pretty much any ideas on a different kind of feeder? I've had plenty of chicks and duckling inside brooded but these girls take the cake of waste.

Back
Top Bottom