SteveBaz

Songster
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
Pacific North West
Is it normal for chicken to eat a feather? I mean this feather was 5" long
hmm.png

Steve

Mine are 2months and do that for fun.... with the ones that fit in their mouth that is.... if it's too big they just chase each other around with it
lol.png

It was completely normal, but we were very surprised and disgusted and awed with our girls the first time we saw them run down a mouse, rend it in pieces and gobble it down.
sickbyc.gif
So not ready to see that. One of our girls also found herself a cigarette butt that someone threw down in the yard. I wasn't able to get it away from her before she swallowed it. She was apparently not disgusted by either episode, and didn't suffer any ill effects. I do keep the cork in the wine bottle on the deck, tho. They are party girls and not to be trusted.
wink.png

One day I was walking through the hen house and saw what looked to be a white piece of paper on the ground. I picked it up and found that it was a rat pelt. The white was the leather side that had been picked completely clean of any fat and tissue and was already dried. I probably couldn't have done a better job if I had skinned it myself. It was strange that there were no other remnants left. No bones or anything that I saw otherwise. I wonder if they found a decaying rat someplace and pulled the hide from it. I don't see how they could have done that otherwise.

Oh, man. Chickens eat the darnedest things.
I watched a Barred Rock eat an eraser sized piece of glass. Nothing happened to her, thankfully.
It's funny to watch them chase each other around with a snake in beak, too. They usually only eat the head, though.

I do believe that my cats and chickens have some sort of deal going on. I think there was a late night meeting in the back section of the barn under low light. The Feline and Poultry families sat down and had a discussion. The Feline family ruled the farm until these bird brains moved into the Feline territory in mass numbers. Now, the Feline family gets harasses and shook down on a daily basis. The Poultry family decided that if they received a daily mouse, they'd be happy to only harass them between 10am-2pm. Yep, those Felines place a mouse at the entrance of the barn every morning (or someplace in the yard) and every morning the Poultry family runs to see if it's there and then proceed to fight over it and rip it apart. Meanwhile, the Felines sit back and wonder how they ever got control of the place.

Like I said I am new to having my own Chicks. So at First I didn't let them free Range I kept um in there Kennel run, anyway my Gran-daughter loves to Dig in garden and Find worms, well she tossed one that she found in the run! It was the Biggest fight I had seen since my High School Days. One got it an started run like crazy with it, then another would intercept it and she would take off, So I now find my self helping my Grandaughter in the garden, I guess worms won't hurt them ?

wee.gif
its mine, no its mine, give it to me! What a Sight it was.

Maggots from cow pats, baby shrews from a nest, , dead frog (well, at least it was when I saw them with it), every last bit of my 10 tomato plants, the dog's food, the cat's food, the sheep food, my lunch.....just about anything that they can get to before I can move it.....they are absolute dustbins.

Back
Top Bottom