Things that make the hens come running......(not food)

LeiaLayers5

Songster
May 12, 2015
Suffolk VA
My Coop
My Coop
We learned the other day that if we turn on the hose, for some reason the girls are fascinated and come running. They loved the mist function on attachment. Its amusing because our dog who is an Australian Cattle Dog mix hates the hose but they loved it.

My chickens seem to read my body language really well sometimes, if I crouch down they seem to think that means treats ;)
Yeah anytime i crouch or sit near ground they come and check my hands. I was holding one of ours the other day and it pecked my necklace. She was like OOOOh! shiny haha.

When I bring a shovel up to the coop area I am a real person of interest. ha ha They know I'm going to dig and what yummy stuff will come out of the ground. Or if I'm carrying any kind of container. All food related in their minds.

Mine hate anything that sprays. We have buffalo gnats bad here early summer and I have to put vanilla water on them or avon skin so soft to keep the gnats away. I use a blue spray bottle and they run away when they see it. Kind of funny the looks I get when I'm walking up there with that sprayer.

We were using some kind of jack hammer device to break up some concrete, but since the concrete was in the ground the chickens investigated, they didn't care that the noise was deafening or the ground was shaking- we were making a hole and they wanted in! ;D

When I bring a shovel up to the coop area I am a real person of interest. ha ha They know I'm going to dig and what yummy stuff will come out of the ground. Or if I'm carrying any kind of container. All food related in their minds.

Mine hate anything that sprays. We have buffalo gnats bad here early summer and I have to put vanilla water on them or avon skin so soft to keep the gnats away. I use a blue spray bottle and they run away when they see it. Kind of funny the looks I get when I'm walking up there with that sprayer.
Do those work? I had not thought of doing anything like that. Yeah they can be very expressive at times haha.

We were using some kind of jack hammer device to break up some concrete, but since the concrete was in the ground the chickens investigated, they didn't care that the noise was deafening or the ground was shaking- we were making a hole and they wanted in! ;D
That is so funny! You would think they would be afraid of machinery.

The mere sound of something being shuffled over the ground. It usually does mean food but a chicken dashed headlong around a corner just now when I moved the burn barrel?

It is funny but now if I am doing anything in the yard and they are not otherwise interested in something they will just follow me around in case I am doing something that might result in food or what not haha.

Back
Top Bottom