Things to put in the run

I put an old truck cap in my run. Works out good on snowdays. Also in the summer they can get out of the sun if they dont want to go back into the coop.

I built my chicken coop and run under one of our porches...nothing gets through that fortress!
clap.gif

Last edited:
I put chicken wire BUT unfortuntely put the 2 inch diameter opening.. what a mistake. I should have used the more expensive hdw cloth or 1 inch poultry wire. Now need to go back and add bird netting or something. DUH me... wish I would have researched more on here this forum..... Dang wild birds come thru all the time. Hope Hubby will soon add a roof over part of it. Run is so big...
just a sayin...

i use a corrugated roof for my chicken coop run.

this way the sunlight comes through and they are secure.

slope it as such so that when it snows the snow can slide off as it melts.

My current coop has a run attached to it. The run is 4' X 8' and I used river sand about 8" deep. Worked very well. However, we are getting ready to move the chickens to an area that will give them 14' X 20' of run. The area is between my two garages so there will be 10' high solid walls on the side. I'll build a wall for the back, then use hardware cloth for the front and maybe welded wire (2" X 4") on top.

Now, my issue… I can get wood chips for free. Lots of wood chips. Since it is from a right of way clearing company it will mostly be pine. I'm thinking of filling the area 12" deep with them.

Bad idea? That much river sand would be costly especially in comparison to free.

Wood chips are an excellent idea... as they break down and compost with help from the chickens scratching they will grow lots of goodies like grubs. Look up deep litter online... it's the same concept and some research has shown that a deep litter when mature can provide up to 100% of a flock's protein needs.

I'm very happy to hear that because free is good. I've been happy with the river sand most of the time. It does seem to stay wet but the chickens have never minded. They will be going from a 16 square foot coop plus a 32 square foot run to a 32 square foot coop and a 248 square foot run. Of course, I do let them out to actually free range several times a week and that won't change.

I'd like some ideas of things to put in the chicken run to
a) keep the girls from tearing up the earth floor into nothing but big holes (someone mentioned putting tires?) from dust baths
b) plant material for the inside
c) things to keep them busy and interested

The issue at hand is that my girls used to free-range for the past two years until recently, when I've had to keep them in a run due to them getting into the neighbor's property and tearing up his garden. It' a good sized run, but they hate it since they've lost their freedom and I've noticed that they've started getting testy with each other now that they are confined. Until I can build some chicken tunnels for them, I need some options.

Also, I'd like to know how many chickens you have for your run, how big is your run, and are they large fowl or bantams. Thanks in advance!

I'd like some ideas of things to put in the chicken run to
a) keep the girls from tearing up the earth floor into nothing but big holes (someone mentioned putting tires?)  from dust baths
b)  plant material for the inside
c) things to keep them busy and interested

The issue at hand is that my  girls used to free-range for the  past two years until recently, when I've had to keep them in a run due to them getting into the neighbor's property and tearing up his garden. It' a good sized run, but they hate it since they've lost their freedom and I've noticed that they've started getting testy with each other now that they are confined. Until I can build some chicken tunnels for them, I need some options.

Also, I'd like to know how many chickens you have for your run, how big is your run, and are they large fowl or bantams. Thanks in advance!
I hang a cabbage so they have to jump a little to get at it,keeps them busy for hours.

Back
Top Bottom