Things you wish you could say

Beating a dead horse here, but it still just gets under my skin every single time:
Their - possessive! It belongs to someone or something. This is their sign.
There - location! Opposite of 'here'. The sign is over there.
They're - contraction of 'they' and 'are'! They're putting their sign over there.
My God, how hard is this to remember???

To - The sign points to a door.
Too - This sign points to a door, too. The sign is too small.
Two - You need two signs.
Your - This is your sign.
You're - You're not reading the sign.
Than - His sign is bigger than yours.
Then - If you want a sign, then ask for one. I'll have it for you then.

There are so many more, but these above are the biggest peeves for me. Every time I see someone use them wrong, I just want to throttle them with a grammar book!
Yes, I agree that those errors are annoying. But I've recently been wondering how often those mistakes come from computers/phones instead of directly from people.

Auto-complete likes to give wrong words, like "pulley" instead of "pullet." It could be causing grammar errors as well.

And any feature that lets a person say something and the computer turns it into text has a large potential for getting wrong words when they sound alike.

I don't think computers deserve ALL the blame, because those errors have been too common since long before computers existed. I'm just wondering if they make it worse.

I don't think computers deserve ALL the blame, because those errors have been too common since long before computers existed. I'm just wondering if they make it worse.
People are in too much of f***ing hurry to check their own text and correct the errors. But I agree, computers make it worse because people are depending on computers to do the spelling and grammar for them. It's especially awful for children and teens who are learning the WRONG spellings and word usage from their electronic devices.

Yeah, right. And I sit here writing this while my grandkids and their friend are all playing on their phones. Enough of that. We're all going outside to set up the new cockerel camp and sift through some sand for my grit supply. Bye, now.

I can't even say how long I thought it was "rod iron". Never had to spell it really, just as spoken.
Believe me, you learn proper English when your mom has a Master's in English and it's her second language.

I have battles with my phone all the time. I keep having to go back and correct posts for spelling errors. I can't wait until I have a PC again.

I can't even say how long I thought it was "rod iron". Never had to spell it really, just as spoken.
I have a backwards problem: lots of words I can read and spell, but I rarely hear people say them. So when someone does say a word and it sounds "wrong" to me, I have to pull out the dictionary and check the pronunciation (Sometimes both pronunciations are equally valid, sometimes one or the other is right, and I've found a few times when myself and someone else were both wrong but in different ways.)

So. Me and my mom were at the grocery store. She told the girl at the register that she didn’t want any bags. When all of the items have been scanned, the bagger (who had been there the whole time) asked if we wanted any bags. I wanted to say “are you deaf? We literally just said no. We don’t want bags!”

I wanted to say “are you deaf? We literally just said no. We don’t want bags!”
I'm so glad you didn't.

I soooo want to get up on my soapbox here and lecture (again) about the frustrations and judgmental attitudes that deaf or hard-of-hearing people endure all day every day, while for others it's just a momentary annoyance. But I won't.

This thread is for what you wish you could say, and it's your right. Vent it here, not on the poor grocery bagger.

Back
Top Bottom