Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RodBrandt, May 23, 2016.

1. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

I didn't even know that it needed research.... I've got 2 chook compounds now LOL

@AC77 I freak out every time I catch sight of one, even though I know what they are there's that instant "aarghh" moment.

1 person likes this.
  2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    didn't know...
    Each chicken doesn't lay every day...
    OR
    They were so easy to keep...

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Notaneggspurt

Notaneggspurt Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2016
    TN
    My Coop
    @AC77 omg thank you! I was preparing to initiate quarantine protocol!

@potato chip My research on the Isa Browns pretty much stopped at "good egg layer, 4-6 a week large brown eggs; docile, friendly, makes great pets, loves to cuddle". I'm not sure if it's something extremely common with red sex link chickens, but after reading through several posts it makes me wonder if I might have gotten "breedist" chickens :th

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Chicks grow FAST and they can fly approximately as high in feet as they are weeks old. I had to upgrade my brooder very quickly!

2 people like this.
  5. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

I think isa browns are known as "meanies" (which is not to say that I knew that) When I got my little girls, the chook farm lady rolled her eyes like it wasn't gonna happen, when I said I already had isa browns. I gave up trying to integrate the new girls with my other girls.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    1. Traditional ways of doing things (here in Africa) are not always the best
    2. Deep litter means no daily cleaning of poo!
    3. Take any advice one reads here on BYC (or anywhere, for that matter) with the knowledge that doing what works best for you and your flock is the most important
    4. Be positive about the mistakes you make - just don't let them happen again!

CT

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Learning the very hard way that predator protection is serious business! Being lucky at first before getting serious about biosecurity. No more production reds in any form! How beautiful and entertaining chickens can be, and how there's never enough room for all the interesting varieties! Mary

2 people like this.
  8. RodBrandt

RodBrandt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2016
    Had not heard it put this way. Very good to know!

9. RodBrandt

May 16, 2016
    Really like your last point - remain positive and don't fret about mistakes. Thanks!

10. RodBrandt

May 16, 2016
    Mary, this is really good input. Fortunately, we haven't had a predator issue, as my wife is of the notion "why use one layer of protection when two will do?" :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by