Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

My first mistake was to understimate the actual size of the chicks i bought (6 weeks). One chick got out of the 2" wire fence when I was away. Never found it again.
The second mistake was to thrust the seller that I bought lady chicks. After 10 weeks it was obvious I had two pullets and 3 cockerels.

But i never regretted that i started with chickens.

Last edited:
That if you buy birds from an auction or swap, you have to be prepared that you've increased your chances of bringing diseases home with you.

That depending what your birds catch, depopulateing might be your only option, especially if you want to bring in new birds.

That hen to rooster ratios are a real thing, pay heed to them especially in a closed environment where the hens can't get away.

That hawks will try to steal your babies from literally right in front of you.

jumpy.gif

1. I wish I took chicken math seriously.
2. I wish I would have bought 16-22 week old pullets from a hatchery instead of planning to integrate a pair of adults with a pair of 5 week old pullets (the feed store got me!)
3. I wish I wouldn't have used pine for my coop and run ground bedding, I would have used sand instead.
4. I wish I searched craigslist for a bigger coop at a discount instead of building a "just right" (for now) coop. *see post #1*

Roll out nest boxes for clean eggs during muddy run season, rather not wash my eggs.
You can build your own and use green outdoor carpet cut down for nest pads.

1. That the term "pecking order" has persisted forever because it is a very real dynamic
2. That some people are charmed with the idea of backyard chickens
3. That some people are grossed out by the idea of backyard chickens
4. Ditto to what everyone above me says about predator attacks
5. Ditto that the hens may or may not eat whatever you get for them.
6. That watching them run to you is one of the most stress-releasing laugh-causing things ever
7. That broody hens can wear your patience completely down
8. That they take more of your time than you think they will

That, seeing the old hen... the oldest one in the flock... the first one you hatched... seeing her lay an egg today would permanently remove her from the cull list. BTW, huge difference between home hatched black sex links, and hatchery produced sex links!!!

Back
Top Bottom