Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

I got chickens when I was really young so I didn't know much about them. I wish I had known about crop impactions when I first got them cause my first Production red got one, I could have saved her :he
Also I wish I could have trained my hens as babys to do tricks :cd

Last edited:
I got chickens when I was really young so I didn't know much about them. I wish I had known about crop impactions when I first got them cause my first Production red got one, I could have saved her :he
Also I wish I could have trained my hens as babys to do tricks :cd

I have 16 heratiage (not production) RIR hens and 1 roo. Mean birds they are... I can only imagine what production RIRs are like... they have got to be even meaner than the heratiage breed.

As I mentioned before I'm going to be swapping out my RIRs for BO soon and my RIRs will be going into the pot.

Last edited:
1. I wish I would have known about chicken math!!!!! We have 4 coops now and have expanded our run twice since getting our first 8 chicks.

2. That my chickens would follow me everywhere I go.

3. That I needed a medical kit.

4. That I would love them so much.

5. That I would spend so much time doing research.

6. Waiting for the first egg is torture.

7. Broody poop is gross, but having a broody raise chicks is a lot easier!

8. That I would start with 8 last year, now have 21, and want more next year!!!!

9. That dealing with frozen water in the winter is a pain!

10. That I'd rather be with my chickens then people! They bring me peace!

Yep. This looks high enough, doesn't it?
I love the idea of pvc to make the dividers! I just got back from Home Depot for extra parts for the tractor pen I am building for the chicks. I don't know why it didn't occur to me that I could use it inside the coop, or inside the big run!
Duh!
gig.gif

That in getting chickens I would need advice. I went to BYC to get that advice. Well, I also didn't know how addicting BYC was; not only for me, but my sister got an account today and she is super excited lol!

*YOU WILL ALWAYS WANT MORE!
*That cold winters and hot winters are a big pain.such as freezing water in the winter so you have to get multiple waterers to switch out throughout the day.and in the summer you have to refill the waterers a lot.
*Cleaning and treating birds can be difficult so always have a medical bag of first aid kit for chickens on hand at all times.
* Predators can come any day or night
* And last but not least I wish I would have known u have to get 6 or more chicks from a feed store but I'm glad that that is a rule cause I loved having all them

Back
Top Bottom