Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

Good point! And if you do build, use treated wood for the bottom plate of the walls because it will get wet and it will get pooped on. There are plenty of free shed plans on the web that can easily be adapted to be a coop.

And if at all possible, have a coop you can stand up in or otherwise be able to stand up while cleaning. It gets really wearisome really fast when you have to bend over and hunch down to clean the coop.

YEEPERS! I made my own and can just stand in the middle. It is just tall enough to know I was dangerously close to making a horrible mistake.

what is a roll out nest box? I need a visual. I am starting to transition all my coops to be on stilts for muddy season, but I hadn't solved the dirty egg problem. Would love to see a pic.

There is some threads on byc on homemade roll out nest boxes. I'd post them and some pics but I only have my phone right now and for some reason I can't do it without going into desktop mode, and I'd loose your quote. Google it, they lay, get up and egg rolls to a collection 'bin', my problem is even though I have multiple nest boxes all of them only lay in two, so muddy feet/poopy feet, dirty eggs, roll out nest boxes will eliminate this...I hope.

No one will be as excited about my chickens as I am.

When asking a friend opinions on baby monitors it's probably best not to tell them it's too put in the coop...

poop coop footwear should not be worn when going out to eat :/

Not telling DH that he was about to become a roost :cd

That straight run = mostly cockerels (for my dad)
That chickens are addicting (for me :gig)
That chickens only laid one egg a day each, if even that... Cartoons distorted this thought...

And more I'll think of later...
I agree with you, chickens are addicting! You get two and say that enough, I don't need anyone. Then before you know it, you're coming home with another chick!

I wish I knew how hard you try and do everything you can think of, items you buy to prevent the problem, there is always going to be bedding in their water bowl. *sigh*

I wish I knew how hard you try and do everything you can think of, items you buy to prevent the problem, there is always going to be bedding in their water bowl. *sigh*
That's one I learned early on and eliminated early on!! Buckets with nipples are our friends!!! My newly hatched or purchased chicks use vertical ones and when they get a little stronger they are switched to horizontal ones.

I wish I had known how hard it would be not to rush out and start getting babies when I see Blooie's babies in photos.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom