Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

Makes sense to me.

Also, my hen house is under a lean to and has a green house a couple of green house panels for a roof. So in essence they are getting light without the heat being an issue. The door is a "dutch door". Sort of like what you see on horse stalls. I can open just the top half of the door or the whole thing. At night I close the just the bottom half and close a screen section over the upper half. So they have air flow but are still secure. My dogs help keep 'coons and such away.

I have 5 eight week old chick's that have been in a small cage inside the coop where the other older hen's and one rooster are, my question is.. Are they still to young to be set free with the others

I was going to ask this question too. I have 2 eight week old pullets. During the day I have been putting them in a 36" high dog exercise pen, inside our chicken run. Today I was alerted by a ruckus and ran over. One of the little girls had got out and the hens were pecking her. My roo was in a panic. I'm not sure if he was protecting his hens or the little one.

Mine clearly aren't ready, what is a good age to be able to stand up for themselves and not be henpecked?

PS, I gave my little one a good going over, she is well :)

My chicks gradually meet the big birds outside, free ranging, after living next to them for a couple of weeks. The chicks are five or six weeks old when they start free ranging with the flock. Plenty of space, extra feeders and water, and supervision at first. There's some pecking as they learn 'who's on first' but no injuries, because of all the space. Mary

Really? How late do yours sleep?
I'm quite sure they wake up at sunrise, around 6:15 am or so. I just don't feel compelled to wake up that early to let them out. That may change once things heat up even more. Most summers we have weeks where 80 degrees F is cool. When that starts in I may feel the need to be out there earlier. But, with my screen set-up I doubt it. I'll just make absolutely sure they have enough water.

...we're sick. Yeah, I got no life...
lol.png
But hey, they give eggs everyday and make me laugh all day so it's all good in the chickenhood
hugs.gif
You have lots of company here! I'm glad I didn't have to "wish" for long. I found BYC before I got them!

The door is a "dutch door". Sort of like what you see on horse stalls. I can open just the top half of the door or the whole thing. At night I close the just the bottom half and close a screen section over the upper half. So they have air flow but are still secure. My dogs help keep 'coons and such away.
bow.gif
I love this idea! I will try to incorporate it when I design the next coop, which will be pretty soon!

Back
Top Bottom