Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

"Creative" is one way of looking at it I suppose LOL. Everywhere's cool, it's winter. The announcements seemed to be just outside the back door, so I was thinking they were doing it on the patio, I wouldn't be surprised if I found another stash there somewhere.
They are probably just coming to let their Mom know about their incredible achievement! Just picture them trudging up to the back door to tell you!

They are probably just coming to let their Mom know about their incredible achievement! Just picture them trudging up to the back door to tell you!
I doubt it. They usually start yelling when they've just done it, don't they?

That's another thing I wish I had known. I wish I knew about "egg song". I kept running out there thinking somebody was in trouble/getting murdered until I realised what they were doing with all the yelling. It still gets my attention, even now I know what it is.

What I've found interesting is not all do an "egg song" ! I call my girls the "Quiet Bunch"; 2 RIR & 2 EEs; even as chicks they were pretty quiet and hardly ever made a sound. When they started laying (late March) we heard the egg song maybe twice, having to walk out to check the nest box several times a day (10am - 2pm). Once we found a couple at 4pm. I've had others that were pretty LOUD, a quiet egg song would be nice but then again we need the exercise :)

Yes, it's definitely an individual thing. If all of mine were doing it, there'd be a cacophony. It's a couple who do it and some are more enthusiastic, louder and persistent with it than others.

What I've found interesting is not all do an "egg song" ! I call my girls the "Quiet Bunch"; 2 RIR & 2 EEs; even as chicks they were pretty quiet and hardly ever made a sound. When they started laying (late March) we heard the egg song maybe twice, having to walk out to check the nest box several times a day (10am - 2pm). Once we found a couple at 4pm. I've had others that were pretty LOUD, a quiet egg song would be nice but then again we need the exercise :)
I hadn't thought about it, but you are right. Some of my girls are very loud, some are quiet, and at least one is silent.

bow.gif
I love this idea! I will try to incorporate it when I design the next coop, which will be pretty soon!
Thanks, but I really can't take credit for it. It was my dad's idea to put this to use in both my "milking parlor" and in the chicken coop. I just helped put things together and give ideas on how to close the doors and such.

Every time I see those doors I remember the first one I noticed. I wasn't even a year old. But, I remember that door - to the basement on the way to the bathroom - I remember the man who ran the u-pick blueberry place. His blueberry bushes seemed so tall since they were over my head even though I was on his shoulders. Little did anyone know that about 10 years later he would marry my grandmother. Or that while I was in college I would see that dutch door every day since I lived in their house for about a year.

Perhaps that is when my fascination with that type of door began....

I do find the concept a useful one.

I wish I had known that it would takenthree times longer to get the coop built than we thought. Construction started two weeks before the chicks artived. Now they are 11 weeks old and we have high hopes that the coop will be finished tomorrow! I am going insane as the 15 chicks are in the kitchen! The dust has by now traveled through the whole house. Argh!!!

I wish I had known that it would takenthree times longer to get the coop built than we thought. Construction started two weeks before the chicks artived. Now they are 11 weeks old and we have high hopes that the coop will be finished tomorrow! I am going insane as the 15 chicks are in the kitchen! The dust has by now traveled through the whole house. Argh!!!

I feel ya. Our coop was mostly done, just needed a few things. They came in a shoe box sized box, and were so cute. After 2 weeks, living in SC, I announced they had to GO! Get out of my house and live in their own chicken house. So, by the time they moved, they were about 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom