Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

Wow a Ryobi?? I been wanting one of those. Wanna barter that with a ZTR mower with a beer in the cup holder?
wink.png
haha! I got a Dewalt and it's good but I still been wanting a Ryobi. Glad to hear you made so much progress on your build. Uh...by the by, what's DH mean? My wife says it might maybe mean "Dear Hubby"
Speaking for myself, DH is Dear Hubby...although occasionally it's dumb, but I'm sure he says the same thing about me (hopefully only occasionally) :/

As far as what we wish we knew before, this chicken math...we keep adding chicks but the housing as well. Our one fairly large coop has an almost finished house beside it (run not yet started), there is a 5' diameter x 10' tall metal tube (it was free, how could I say no) laying in our front yard that will be a silo chicken house...also another run to build. And in my head I'm thinking of a saloon house.

What came first...the chicken or the house???

Speaking for myself, DH is Dear Hubby...although occasionally it's dumb, but I'm sure he says the same thing about me (hopefully only occasionally) :/

As far as what we wish we knew before, this chicken math...we keep adding chicks but the housing as well. Our one fairly large coop has an almost finished house beside it (run not yet started), there is a 5' diameter x 10' tall metal tube (it was free, how could I say no) laying in our front yard that will be a silo chicken house...also another run to build. And in my head I'm thinking of a saloon house.

What came first...the chicken or the house???
Gawd! if we only had the property we'd have more chickens than most would want to count. AND ducks. My wife and I dream of pulling up stake, selling everything and getting out of city living. She's born and bred in South Tampa and when I moved here some 8 years gone now I thought..."nice place but I can see the neighbors"... so it didn't take me too long to start putting a bug in her ear about ducking out of Dodge soon as we could. Bless her heart, till that day comes she's allowed me to turn our front and side yards into a mini version of the country living I love and miss. We got a fire pit in the front yard with a table and chairs under the pepper tree. The dog house is built wrapped around that same pepper tree with ivy growing all over it (plus it's painted in camo-my favorite color) Our garden is right longside the sidewalk with sweet potato, potato and onion growing. Then brick walkway to the front door has herbs off by the fence and the side yards got the chickens...with their "mini barn hen house". She says we're cosmopolitan Rednecks. I say we're biding time.

If you give a woman a power tool... she just might...

build a tractor, build a green house, build a chicken coop, start collecting building supplies for yet more projects... drive her husband mad!!!

I did exactly that, before my husband gave in and joined me in my chicken madness! We now both have confirmed OCD (obsessive chicken disorder!)

If you give a woman a power tool... she just might...

build a tractor, build a green house, build a chicken coop, start collecting building supplies for yet more projects... drive her husband mad!!!

This is so me! My husband never expected me to be able to build triple bunk beds for our boys when they outgrew their toddler beds. I love a project & I have bought way more tools & use them much more often than him. I really enjoy a project!

Last edited:
This is so me! My husband never expected me to be able to build triple bunk beds for our boys when they outgrew their toddler beds. I love a project & I have bought way more tools & use them much more often than him. I really enjoy a project!
Same here. I just love playing with power tools. Problem is, that my energy level is limited. So, I need some days off to be able to catch up with the house work just a bit before I can do what I really want to do: start an other project. My next project will be a garden sink. Given the energy sapping summer heat, having grand kids here often, and my work schedule, that may need to wait till the weather cools a bit. Ongoing project that I am looking forward to getting back into is the hugelkulture mound. Again, need cooler fall weather for chain saw work. Now have medical clearance to play with my chain saw again!!! We recently bought a hand truck. (dolly) It makes it super easy to move those big rocks, especially when hubby is on the business end of it!!!

Gawd! if we only had the property we'd have more chickens than most would want to count. AND ducks. My wife and I dream of pulling up stake, selling everything and getting out of city living. She's born and bred in South Tampa and when I moved here some 8 years gone now I thought..."nice place but I can see the neighbors"... so it didn't take me too long to start putting a bug in her ear about ducking out of Dodge soon as we could. Bless her heart, till that day comes she's allowed me to turn our front and side yards into a mini version of the country living I love and miss. We got a fire pit in the front yard with a table and chairs under the pepper tree. The dog house is built wrapped around that same pepper tree with ivy growing all over it (plus it's painted in camo-my favorite color) Our garden is right longside the sidewalk with sweet potato, potato and onion growing. Then brick walkway to the front door has herbs off by the fence and the side yards got the chickens...with their "mini barn hen house". She says we're cosmopolitan Rednecks. I say we're biding time.
Until you move on to larger pastures it sounds like you make very good use out of the space you do have.

Back
Top Bottom