Think I busted my egg eater

Birdsong 82

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 17, 2017
Virginia
well came into the run and looked in nesting box and saw one of my leghorns literally pushing one of my reds every way possible off the eggs. Once she was successful she took over but my RIR wasn’t letting that happen so easily and began pulling her comb. Hen fight happened on eggs and now they are covered in yolk. Angry but had to laugh while they clean themselves. But noticed last few days I either had missing egg with yolk remnants or destroyed egg and the way the leghorn was acting looked like she wanted the eggs from under the rir. So what now.

We have several nest boxes but they always insist on using the same one of course. Never seen them fight over a spot before but it was almost like she wanted the eggs that were under her more than she wanted that spot

That sounds interesting. I may have to look into that. Actually since we got more this year we are finishing up a brand new larger coop with a new set of nest boxes. Do you think changing the location will help this behavior? Probably not. Definitely looking into the rollaway nest boxes. Hopefully something we can make because we need quite a few

I actually have seen plans online for making your own. I don't think a change in location would matter :hmm

Attachments

• 049d2208ba8db994ae37f7db25aa5a08.jpg
    049d2208ba8db994ae37f7db25aa5a08.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 8
OK the picture kind of gives me the idea of it. Our coop floor is already set actually the whole things just about done and the area we’ve raised is already covered with skirt on and all. But I think I see but I may be able to do. I was hoping a change in location might work but I figured it wouldn’t. They’re not stupid and these are some tasty eggs. I just hope Building five or six of them will work

You can do it either way! To where the eggs stay in the coop or roll to a spot outside the coop! Yes for sure not stupid! Clever little things!

Attachments

• 693772b3273f0799feb652f61ef1d392--pet-chickens-raising-chickens.jpg
    693772b3273f0799feb652f61ef1d392--pet-chickens-raising-chickens.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 7
They are clever. I think the goats are jealous because when I put stuff up out of where the goats can jump on something in reach it the chickens fly up there and get it. LOL they’re standing on the ground looking jealous. I like that set up that’s nice and doesn’t look too hard to construct. And we built in 8 x 12’ coop so it shouldn’t take up much more room than a standard nesting box. And the We are configuring for our jersey giant.

Back
Top Bottom