Think I got a broody!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by imogene08, Nov 24, 2013.

1. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Well today I wanted to try something I took 4 golf balls in her nest and put her in there.She looked at them and sat but she quickly chased away from the 2 trouble making twins.about an hour or 2 later she was back on the nest puffing up and staring me down.She also tried to peck me I placed 2 golf balls by her and she quickly put them right under her.Shes sleeping and seems to do well.Shes a 7 month old Buff is she broody and can I get some hatching eggs or will she lay eggs to complete her clutch my hens arnt laying well due to weather and changes.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    She is a Buff Orpington? They do like to go broody. Has she been sitting on the nest overnight, I usually wait until they sit on the nest for two or three nights in a row before I declare them broody. If she is actually broody, she should have stopped laying eggs and just want to set. Just because she is sitting on a nest during the day and rearranging eggs in the nest doesn't mean she is broody yet, some hens just will take a long time to lay eggs and will do the same thing... when we collect eggs everyday we keep them from collecting a clutch of their own eggs.

3. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Sadly she hopped off the nest this morning and refused to get back on :( maybe sometime this spring we will have one of a hens go broody :).Is it commen for Barred rocks to go broody or even EEs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by