Think i have a rooster:[

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JennaPonraj, May 23, 2012.

1. JennaPonraj

JennaPonraj In the Brooder

May 22, 2012
    Tacoma, Wa
    Hi, new to this website :] I'm really worried though. I have 8 chickens including a very rare one. [French Copper Maran] I didn't know that it was straight run when I bought it though. It's bigger than the rest and has a huge crown and waddle for it's age. [they call it a waddle on a turkey but what on a chicken?] I read online that the roosters have a greenish blue sheen which is what she has. When the sun reflects on her feathers it's super beautiful. She hasn't crowed yet, and I'm not sure how old they are when they do. She's a little older than 8 weeks. If she is a rooster do u have any ideas where to take her. I live in tacoma Washington and I'd want her to be close so I could visit! Thank you! Picture is of her.
    P.S. If i started a new thread in the wrong place sooo sorry. Didn't know where to ask this???:] [​IMG]

2. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Songster

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

Most black chickens, or dark colored ones, have a green sheen even if they are a hen. My Partridge Plymouth Rock hen has a green glint in the sun. We call her "The Green Chicken" [​IMG] Also black Austerlops have a green tint in the sun. But the roosters seem to have a special kind of green on their feathers. One question - does it seem a bit more aggressive? For example, did it peck you a lot as a chick? If you reach your hand at it, does it sometimes bite you? I had my Rhode Island Red rooster do that to me. Also, this night, try going into your coop, or opening your door. When I did, my rooster would run on over. I think he was trying to protect his girls. You should see a personality difference, perhaps he seems a bit, well.. Cocky??

3. Beaner

Beaner In the Brooder

Hmmm. Your bird looks a lot like one of mine that is maybe a couple of weeks older - the general opinion is "rooster", so I'm interested in the feedback you get. Good luck! :)

4. SkylaSilkie

SkylaSilkie Chirping

May 20, 2012
    Florida
    My Coop
    Its tail feathers curve up, so it may be a rooster. [​IMG]

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Looks like a boy to me.

6. puglady

puglady Songster

May 8, 2012
    NH
    Sorry, definitely looks like its a boy.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    It looks like a hen to me. Are the neck feathers rounded or more pointed? Rounded says hen, pointed says roo. Good luck. :)

8. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Crowing

Jan 12, 2012
    Looks like a cockerel, has his shiny sickle feathers (those iridescent green feathers on the tail) and it looks like the hackles may be pointed.

Welcome to BYC! We're glad you joined! [​IMG]

9. farmerChef

farmerChef Songster

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    there is red coming in on the wings, cockeral

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: