1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Think I may have found out what my roo is...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by new2chickens, Mar 12, 2008.

1. new2chickens

new2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Any thoughts???
    I was flipping through the Meyer Hatchery catalog that I got in the mail yesterday and saw a picture of a rooster that looks an awful lot like mine! It says he is a Golden Buff also known as Golden Comet, Golden Sex Link, Cinnamon Queen, and Red Star. Says this hybrid strain is a leader in the brown egg market and is by far the most popular bird they sell. Roosters are white with darker wing, neck, and tail feathers.

Here is a picture of my rooster:
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of the Golden Buff from Meyer Hatchery site:
    [​IMG]

And here is a link to my blog with 4 pictures of this hybrid from feathersite.com

http://laughterherd.blogspot.com/2008/03/sir-buffington-buff-rooster.html

Thanks
    Sarah

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    he could very well be a golden buff. They look very similar. Whatever he is though he is very attractive.

3. new2chickens

Mar 2, 2008
    I love him! I think he is just gorgeous! I got a straight run EE at Tractor Supply with hopes he is a roo, but the more time I spend watching the big guy, I hope the EE is a hen!! I just really wanted to have a young roo to raise so he would be more used to attention and so I would be less of a scaredy cat of him!! LOL

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sure looks like a red sexlink male to me. The golden buffs must be another sexlink name that hatchery has for them. He sure has one big comb there!

5. new2chickens

Mar 2, 2008
    Red Sex Link is one of the pics that I found at feathersite.com that looked like him. Now I kinda hope my straight run EE is a pullet!! The more time I spend with this big guy I really like him!!

[​IMG] Here's to hoping Elvis (the EE) is realy an Ashley (I have 2 EE pullets named Naomi and Wynona...so if this one is not an Elvis I could have all 3 of the Judds!!)

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep, he is a red sexlink. I had an EE/sex link cross roo that looked just like him, but with puffy cheeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by