Think it's too cold for your chickens? Think again...

Wish my step father had a computer and could read this thread.

. He is 83 and cold all the time
Keeps 2 space heaters on his cats in the heated basement til their fur is falling out until May .Wonders why its falling out?
Worries about my long haired fat 15 lb cat who goes out when its cold for the night at times. I can tell he thinks i am a bad animal MOM.
Now he is worried about my chickens this coming winter(its 105 here he should worry about this heat for them!). Says " Dont they need HEAT in the coop?
I told him it can build up humidity if they are too air tight in there bad for lungs.and they wear down coats! A really REALLY cold night here is -5.Usually about 20-30 degrees or higher..
.I can tell he thinks i am so wrong and mean and he has the right idea for animals.. Oh well.

A. Lincoln; "You can please some of the ppl, some of the time..."..

Get him a down coat, make him wear it indoors, and then tell him, after all, that's what the chickens are wearing!

Sorry about his poor cats! Mine would be disconsolate if he wasn't allowed to go outside, let alone being kept in an oven all day!

i got a small coop im trying to decide if i should slaughter my 2 hens or if you think they will be fine thru the winter with no heat? they are in anchorage ak and its 2x2x4 foot the section i put blueboard insulation in, and then left one side uninsulated with the water and sawdust also.

the only reason im concerned is because i only have 2 hens, i will not heat, i will slaughter them if its to cold. but i would like to keep them thru the winter if i can.

if its well insalted they should be fine what my uncle told me to do is make there they have a box they can get in thats got lots of straw or shavings and can cuddle togeather and keep warm inside the coop area so just make sure there some place they can cuddle I would not kill them give them a chance

or you can always make them a little spot in the house like a dog create or somthign and bring them in at night and put them back out in there coop during the day. that is my plan on nights we hit freezing (being in las vegas not very ofter :}

Last edited:
i got a small coop im trying to decide if i should slaughter my 2 hens or if you think they will be fine thru the winter with no heat? they are in anchorage ak and its 2x2x4 foot the section i put blueboard insulation in, and then left one side uninsulated with the water and sawdust also.

the only reason im concerned is because i only have 2 hens, i will not heat, i will slaughter them if its to cold. but i would like to keep them thru the winter if i can.

Insulation is good, just make sure it is covered. My chickens will eat it. Also, make sure it is ventilated. Moisture in the coop will create more of a problem than cold. I use a 2"X4" roost so they can get their toes covered(by their wings). Give them a chance!

Last edited:
Two questions.
First of all do I need to insulate the hen house? I have 4 Golden Sex Links and their hen house is about 4X8. (I am hoping to invest in more chickens this spring). The hen house is draft free and with a vent at the highest point of the ceiling, and with a new roof so no more leaks! I am currently using the deep bedding method. But after reading quite a few posts I am unsure if I need to insulate.
My second question is do I need a light. I am not putting any heating sources inside the hen house since I do live in an area that the power frequently goes out. However I read that since I live in Alaska and its so dark in the winter that I need some light. And if I do need light, how long should it be turned on?

Two questions.
First of all do I need to insulate the hen house? I have 4 Golden Sex Links and their hen house is about 4X8. (I am hoping to invest in more chickens this spring). The hen house is draft free and with a vent at the highest point of the ceiling, and with a new roof so no more leaks! I am currently using the deep bedding method. But after reading quite a few posts I am unsure if I need to insulate.
My second question is do I need a light. I am not putting any heating sources inside the hen house since I do live in an area that the power frequently goes out. However I read that since I live in Alaska and its so dark in the winter that I need some light. And if I do need light, how long should it be turned on?
Becky, I keep hoping mrs ak bird brain(who started this thread ) would give advice but it appears that she hasn't been on in a while. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Also, you may want to check out"where am I , where are you"? for more people from Alaska. https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...a&containingforum[]=26&output=all&action=disp Good luck!

well heres some pics of the coop, looks like they have been pecking at that blue board! i think i need to move it to outside the coop wall or something easy.

this is female hen we call gary coleman

other female precious.

Back
Top Bottom