Think it's too cold for your chickens? Think again...

I hope this is an OK place to post this question.
I have searched threads on when to put chicks out in the "cold" but most people have enclosed coops, I think.
I'm pretty sure I have heated my previous batches of chicks too long so I'm trying to change that but my coop is open-air(only 3 sides- opening up to a covered enclosure) so I thought I should check with you all.

My chicks are 6 weeks and have been spending days outside in their grow out coop for at least a week (highs mid 80s) but I've been bringing them inside at night. They have been getting no added heat since 4 weeks but I don't think it's less than 75 in the house.
I'd like to just leave them out there now but I'm trying to decide if they need heat at night. Three are mostly fully feathered but the 4th one still has some feathers to grow on her head. My grow out coop is open-air just like my big coop. See "my coop" to the left, 4th picture.
The low temp tonight is only supposed to be 58 but tomorrow it's going to be 51.
It seems like the perfect time to acclimate them somewhat gradually, right? No heat?

PS don't laugh at me. I've lived in the hot desert all my life and 51 is chilly to me.
smile.png

hello from las Vegas I kind of know about desert weater we still have air condtioning on I say watch your chicks I cant remember at 6 weeks there fully featherd if yes they should be fine but I would go out and check on them see if there all huddled togeather or not. What I have learned (this is my first winter with my girls) with desert dwellers the few nights we hit freezing is harder on our birds as most the time we have nice not so cold weather so there not aclamated for that cold so when we get into the colder months you may want to have a back up plan for those freezing nights

I live in zone 3 near Winnipeg Canada,where winter is at times brutal. The upside is it is very dry once temps are below 0f most of the time. I kid you not, there are times 20 below seems warmer than 20f with a driving wind,snow and the moisture.
Summer was very hot, lots of 90 degree days with a humidex of over 100, the little chooks would shake it hard in those conditions. In June it was so hot, I could not breath, and my thoughts were this, how could a place this hot be so cold in winter.
I have seen -40 and close to -50 windchill, a few times, but -30 with a -40 windchill happens almost every winter a few times. Lots of winters the temps are 0f to 15f, odd days to 32-40f too, just depends. It is 48 here right now, raining, mist like some type of Seattle weather.
Anyhew, have no birds just yet, but will be getting some cold hardy types, and leaning toward bantams. Coop is 8 feet by 8feet, 7feet high, insulated, but needs more ventelation worked into it. I am not going to heat it, in any way, if I can help it.I need to build a run, but will make something small for this year, if I get the Banties I am looking at. Rosecombs, spring birds, 4 hens 2 roosters, all siblings. I have really enjoyed this thread, but did some research and still find it amazing that parts of Alaska are warmer in winter than the Winnipeg region of prairie western Canada.....RR

1 other thing, years back I worked as a sales rep fora large Local Feed company, and used to call on many a large egg producer, it used to sadden me to see all those Dekalbs all caged up pumpin out the eggs.
My folks are kids of the 30s and 40s, and they both told me, all their layer chickens never ever had heat or insulated coops in this region, and most nobody did, unless they were a large producer. My parents did not have electricity or telephones in there family homes till the early 50s.
I am not saying we should go back in time, and whatever you can do to manage your birds in a more healthy comfortable manner, I say go do it. I will not compromise the birds health for my own comfort either. You should see all the birds up here in winter, no the Hummers are gone south, but the wild turkeys, pheasants, wild chickens, grouse etc. Where I live we have so many wild birds it is unbelievable, you should see the swans and pelicans on a cold spring morning. Last winter I saw a feral female ring neck pheasant every day, she was doing great, with no coop or feed in a bowl, just living off the land. In the closest village,Clandeboye, a wild turkey roams the streets, lives outside even at -35........RR

I have never under stood why people get all freaked out by the Cold, Heat, Fox's, Hawks and so on all of the chickens we all enjoy and care for have all made it this far and most of the 100's if not 1000's of years without our help.

I hope this is an OK place to post this question.
I have searched threads on when to put chicks out in the "cold" but most people have enclosed coops, I think.
I'm pretty sure I have heated my previous batches of chicks too long so I'm trying to change that but my coop is open-air(only 3 sides- opening up to a covered enclosure) so I thought I should check with you all.

My chicks are 6 weeks and have been spending days outside in their grow out coop for at least a week (highs mid 80s) but I've been bringing them inside at night. They have been getting no added heat since 4 weeks but I don't think it's less than 75 in the house.
I'd like to just leave them out there now but I'm trying to decide if they need heat at night. Three are mostly fully feathered but the 4th one still has some feathers to grow on her head. My grow out coop is open-air just like my big coop. See "my coop" to the left, 4th picture.
The low temp tonight is only supposed to be 58 but tomorrow it's going to be 51.
It seems like the perfect time to acclimate them somewhat gradually, right? No heat?

PS don't laugh at me. I've lived in the hot desert all my life and 51 is chilly to me.
smile.png
Hi , I wish it was 51 in New york state at night . As they are still babies & arent completey feathered ..& They are used to the warmth of the house I would do it gradually . Do they have a cage inside ? will it fit into the coop ? Our babies spent their 1st night in the coop in the cage with a blanket over the top to keep them warm ..after a couple of days we removed the blanket . I wouldnt remove the blanket till they are completely feathered .

I have never under stood why people get all freaked out by the Cold, Heat, Fox's, Hawks and so on all of the chickens we all enjoy and care for have all made it this far and most of the 100's if not 1000's of years without our help.

Are you a Guy ? I think it is the mother complex ...women like to mother & worry about babies ..we kind of adopt them .
I worry about foxes because they killed 2 of our baby chickens ..And tryed to kill our hens when I was outside on the other side of the house .
They hunt near us some evenings also . I hear their bark..& see their eyes when I shine the flashlight on them .
Many people live in areas where predators are a real threat to their chickens . It is also important to have a safe area for them to be chickens

smile.png

Just some guesses here but I would cover 2 of the open sides of the coop so they can stay out of the wind. In one corner I would put a box (maybe 2 sq feet on one side) open to the corner with just enough space for them to go between the wall and the box to get in. Put pine shavings in the box and I think they will be fine. They will go in if they are cold or afraid and they will pile together to stay warm if necessary. I think they will be better off and feather better if they aren't going into the "too warm" house every night. Just confusing to their systems if they never see anything under 75.

I put mine out at 4 weeks (they wouldn't stay in the bathtub anymore). Of course that was July but in Vermont night time temps in July can easily be in the high 50's or 60's.

I grew up in So. Cal. so I do know what you are saying about 51F being "cold". I've been in Vermont for 33 years. 51F is no longer cold, it is sweater weather but only if the wind is blowing. If a mostly "lacking in natural heat storing covering" human can adapt, certainly your "personalized down coat" chickens will.

Yes I am a guy and I understand being "Broody" if you will about the flock & herd and I do live in the country and we have Hawks,Coons,Coyote's,Cougar's,Bears,Gray Wolf's and to date the worst thing I have had to fend off was a dog from down the street and I hit it hard with grading rake as that was what I was holding at the time.

My girls are not pets but they are a source of food and money so I don't want any to turn up missing or dead but I only want animals that can survive on their own with little help from me and my new Akita is a help as she patrols the pasture to make sure all is how it should be.

Yes I am a guy and I understand being "Broody" if you will about the flock & herd and I do live in the country and we have Hawks,Coons,Coyote's,Cougar's,Bears,Gray Wolf's and to date the worst thing I have had to fend off was a dog from down the street and I hit it hard with grading rake as that was what I was holding at the time.

My girls are not pets but they are a source of food and money so I don't want any to turn up missing or dead but I only want animals that can survive on their own with little help from me and my new Akita is a help as she patrols the pasture to make sure all is how it should be.

Everyone has different circumstances...& different problems with their chickens ..sometimes we just need to cry / complain a little . LOL
I am a Lady ...Mine are pets / food source - eggs at this point . We have no dog .. I want one for the safety of my flock ..My husband doesnt want one ..So we dont have one .So We got a Rooster for some protection for our girls .
I guess I worry more because I have seen the fox come in our yard during the day to get our chickens ..( it succeeded twice ) & I do hear him / her hunting at night near our house . they are more vulnerable during the day when they are out free ranging .If they are locked in the coop they are safe . ( surrounded by wood ) not much ventilation though . So I keep my ears listening when they are still in the run area at night for some air before I totally close them up ..

Back
Top Bottom