Think it's too cold for your chickens? Think again...

I worked on warming up the coop a bit yesterday, since it was close to 30 degrees out. We are set to have a cold snap, so I tarped up the outside, except for the one window, and changed to a higher watt bulb for the morning light, hoping it will warm it up a bit. More for my piece of mind, than anything.

I worked on warming up the coop a bit yesterday, since it was close to 30 degrees out. We are set to have a cold snap, so I tarped up the outside, except for the one window, and changed to a higher watt bulb for the morning light, hoping it will warm it up a bit. More for my piece of mind, than anything.

Sorry for all of my posts. The kids went to bed at normal time so are up and atem' already while I brought in the new year and want to go back to my warm bed :)

Ne who..... I was just wondering what types of birds some ppl have. Because while I scoff at adding extra heat, I have LF Brahmas and an Orpington so I can't even imagine anyone being cold. However, if I had bantam polish or leghorns or something more athletic like that I can imagine I may be humming a different tune.

Right now its -15 F, last night I did chores at 1 am. Thank GOD not much wind. The geese took over the barn and refused to let the BA's in thier part of the barn and they also lock the ducks outside. So I kicked the geese outisde and everyone scrambled to their right full place. My young pullets started to shiver alittle so I put on the other heat lamp for the water. They huddle up against the water for warmth too. The geese have to sleep outisde do to them fighting among them selves.

To kind of get back on topic. What is it about chickens in snow....they will run around all day on dry ground when its 5 degrees out but get an inch of snow and no one goes anywhere....atleast mine!
Our birds did the same thing the 1st snow they ever seen. After waiting about a half a day for the strange stuff to go away they went out and did there chicken thing in it. The older birds teach the young ones.
Birds look silly high stepping in snow
lau.gif

Scott

30F isn't cold enough to even think they MIGHT be cold. My girls haven't seen 30F for a couple of weeks. 8F today and they were fine. They make nests in the shavings of the coop or run (indoor) floors and hang out in them. That is until someone comes in and then they think there might be a treat and come rushing over.

Supposed to be -10F tomorrow night. I MIGHT rig up the brooder heat lamp just in case they look frozen but I really think they should be fine given all I've read from people who live where -10F is a balmy winter day.

Yup our birds are the same. Out at -10F but will not touch snow even at 35F

Mine have been staying in the barn alley with only their chicken door to the world open. The wind blows up between the barns doing the Bernoulli Effect thing and dumping snow right in front of the door. We'd be spending the entire day shoveling if we wanted them to have a snow free area outside.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom