Think it's too cold for your chickens? Think again...

I will have to look up training for nipple waterers. I have often thought about it as the big wattled birds drag them through the water when they drink from traditional bowls, making them more susceptible to frostbite.

Thank you for the tip!
...or you could train the big wattled birds to use straws...
lau.gif
aww c'mon, that paints a funny picture!

Try hanging it on the outside of the coop, and see if that changes anything... last I knew, they worked ok. Can you find out what your ambient outdoor humidity is to check it against?

Not without a humidity meter. Circular problem!!!

It has always been just outside the coop in front of the open (hardware cloth only) front "window" or by the barn door on the work bench. It did drop to 80% yesterday sitting in the coop "window".

Ovulation happens whether the male is "doing his job" or not.

Just like female people
wink.png

Bruce

It dropped down to -23C a couple of nights ago. The water was frozen, but the chickens were fine. They are plucky and sassy looking for treats. Ive got them indoors so i throw scratch to them every couple of days and extra corn grit. I also give them cabbage to keep them busy.

I woke up to 29 F but wind as all get out. It is blowing at 25-30 MPH. Tommarrow it is supposed to rain.:idunno This crazy weather is driving me crazy. One day I feel like putting on some shorts then I just can't stay warm unless I sit right next to the wood furnice.:oops: I can't wait for spring!!!!!

This is my second winter keeping chickens and my first winter not heating. We're expecting lows in the single digits for the next week or so. I've got four chickens in a dry ventilated, uninsulated coop. So far, it's been in the low teens and they've seemed fine. They have a heated waterer outside the coop. Egg production is way down, but the birds seem OK. Anyway, in February, we some times have the odd night at -5F. I am really enjoying not heating and constantly worrying about coop fires. Should I worry? We won't have snow or humidity to speak of. The coop is big enough for 8 comfortably, and if I need to insulate with cardboard on one wall, I can. I just don't know if it's worth the effort. (I'd also prefer they not eat the cardboard.)

Sorry - the chickens are Rhode Island Reds and Easter Eggers. They seem happier in the winter than the summer!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom