Think it's too cold for your chickens? Think again...

Quote:
I have same problem. I do believe it is from the heated waterers.

If chickens cannot see, they do not move. So if your coop is dark, they will not go to the waterer to drink over night. It could be removed.

However, they will be thirsty in the morning. You will need to get water to them as soon as possible when they wake up. Early mornings for you.

I have same problem. I do believe it is from the heated waterers.

If chickens cannot see, they do not move. So if your coop is dark, they will not go to the waterer to drink over night. It could be removed.

However, they will be thirsty in the morning. You will need to get water to them as soon as possible when they wake up. Early mornings for you.

Last spring I started using 4-5 gallon buckets as waterers. We drill 3-4 holes in the bottom and put nipple waterers in the bottom then I notch the rim for the cord for my bird bath heater and then put the lids back on the buckets. I did it mainly because I got tired of dirty, pooey waterers.... but since it has gotten colder I have discovered another benefit--- less evaporation. I used to have open heated waterers and would see frost in various places... this year none so far... and last few nights it's been below zero​

Quote:
Last spring I started using 4-5 gallon buckets as waterers. We drill 3-4 holes in the bottom and put nipple waterers in the bottom then I notch the rim for the cord for my bird bath heater and then put the lids back on the buckets. I did it mainly because I got tired of dirty, pooey waterers.... but since it has gotten colder I have discovered another benefit--- less evaporation. I used to have open heated waterers and would see frost in various places... this year none so far... and last few nights it's been below zero

That is awesome!
thumbsup.gif
My heated bowls are outside, but I do notice a lot of condensation on the overhang. I don't have any food or water inside the coop, though, and I fluff the bedding every day to hopefully keep it from getting too damp.

VMDanielsen, I would move the waterers outside. Fill them at night so there's water in the morning.
smile.png

Last edited:
I will have to look up training for nipple waterers. I have often thought about it as the big wattled birds drag them through the water when they drink from traditional bowls, making them more susceptible to frostbite.

Thank you for the tip!

Quote:
Last spring I started using 4-5 gallon buckets as waterers. We drill 3-4 holes in the bottom and put nipple waterers in the bottom then I notch the rim for the cord for my bird bath heater and then put the lids back on the buckets. I did it mainly because I got tired of dirty, pooey waterers.... but since it has gotten colder I have discovered another benefit--- less evaporation. I used to have open heated waterers and would see frost in various places... this year none so far... and last few nights it's been below zero

Do you have pictures? I can not visualize.....

Quote:

Brilliant! But how do you keep it from leaking and how do you hang it?

If you do a BYC topic search "nipple" it will come up with a bunch of threads on the nipple waterers.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=390318
Here's one that shows the buckets.

Some people give up on them in the winter though, because one drop can freeze, locking it all up. We tried drink cups in our breeder coop, with heat-tape along the pipes... the pipes stayed fluid, but the water in the cups froze, then broke the springs when we tried to remove the ice. And bits of shavings would get stuck in there and cause the whole system to dribble out onto the floor. We're going to try a nipple waterer system for the Spring/summer, but I just swap out soda-pop bottle waterers in the winter. It's a PITA, because they freeze up again so quickly, but it's the only way I've figured out how to give them water without heat.

ParadiseFoundFarm...
hugs.gif

Quote:

Brilliant! But how do you keep it from leaking and how do you hang it?

The nipples have rubber grommets around them so there is no leakage... this is what I use http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...01&langId=-1&division=FarmTek&productId=17664 and here is a picture of it in one of my coops

25346_water.jpg

Never had one freeze of leak... I use bird bath heaters in them so they don't freeze.. I check them often and I keep extras around... so far I've been replacing the buckets more than the nipples!!!
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Oh oh another project

for the honey -do list.
clap.gif

I have been carrying Gal. of warm water to each coop.
every day . but only fill their rubber bowls
to not quite half.
so its breaks easy
what does freeze.I like this idea much better.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom