Think our oldest is drinking cough syrup...

How old are your other kids? could anyone else be getting into it? The vomiting may help you find that out..
And i agree with everyone, its a big sign of serious problems..11 is so dang young!
hit.gif

Thank you ALL so much...this is just what I need.
hit.gif
The 3rd party opinion.

We don't want to have the family find out-especially grandma-it would break her heart, both grandma's and my daughters. Thank you for putting us in your prayers as it means so much to us-Please keep your words coming in to help us figure out how to handle this... I definitely think counseling will be a factor. I've noticed her talk about how hard 6th grade is and how much different it is, and also her best friend (who lives next door)makes comments like "everybody has a facebook, everybody has a my space" "everybody this and everybody that" --I won't let her...she's too young. So I definitely think that the peer pressure is there. I know it has to be...I remember that grade and it was awful!!

My twins are 4. No chance of confusing who's taking it...they can't even reach the shelf.

Last edited:
Something else to watch out for is permanent markers... Kids are sniffing those nowadays... Unbeknownst to me, I sent my 11yo son to the Dollar General across the field to get some markers he needs for school(I had forgotten to buy them), the store wouldn't sell them to him... Said a parent had to buy them.
All I can say is try to stay three steps ahead of her by educating yourself on what the kids are into these days and do the best you can to eliminate the stuff from her reach. One good thing our schools here do is start educating the kids and parents on what is out there and how to handle the peer pressure and avoid the temptation. It doesn't strike home with all the kids but it convinces alot of them. My son continuously tells me what he has learned or been told about drugs/alchohol and other over the counter stuff.

Icepac is a horrible idea. Please do not do that. This type of behavior is not a joke and could be the beginning of the addiction cycle for her.

It's time to confront and get her to admit she was abusing the cough medicine. You need to engage her, not scare or embarrass her. The first step of recovery, even if it's just minor incident, is admission and then education.

Codeine is in cough syrup is incredibly addictive. In no time she will have access to oxies.

Please do the right thing.

If this turns out to be anything more than curiosity and a minor search for a "buzz" I would consider what Dawnsuiter wrote.

kids (people) drink massive amounts of cough syrup to trip. The call it robo tripping. It's much more than a high. There is a good chance it was used to substitute some other drug. My 17 year old daughter is giving me this info. It falls hand & hand with extasy, and other designer drugs. This problem may run deep. I would make the switch so you know for sure. Then nip it in the bud......
Weather or not you want to admit it to your self, our kids are surrounded by the influence of drugs & alcohol nearly every time they leave the house. Yes even at school functions. If your kid will talk openly with you about the drug & alcohol use they've witnessed,... There not using! There all very well educated on the matter. The cops come into the schools and start DARE programs in kindergarten. They teach the kids what drugs are and what they look like. They even display marijuana pipes for them to see. Not to get off topic, but I believe our children are over educated about drugs. It just seems that if you make something familiar to them they'll be less afraid to try it..........Best of luck to you.

Quote:
Markers, white out, model glue..and of course whip-its.(they huff from canned cool whip).. OR those keyboard cleaners..(compressed air in a can..) those are just a few things to keep an eye on in your house....

I want to add one more thing and then I'll move on. i don't want to offend you or anyone.

I can't tell you how many things in my own life went untreated because proper treatment can't be done secretly. I see it all around in my daughters friends, even SHE has become good at diagnosing the problems with her friends. Hiding this isn't appropriate, it creates shame, guilt, fear and well.. secrets. None of these are ways OUT of a problem that starts with hiding, stealing, fear and self abuse etc.

Please don't worry about what anyone, even grandma will think. My folks avoided stuff in order to not cause my grandma a heart-attack in her old feeble age. She lived another 12 years!

I know everything my daughter does thanks to myspace & face book. As long as you have the pass word and put yourself on the friends list. Kids love blabbing on there. By having her password you can search to see what her friends have been doing as well. Which will help to indicate what she's doing. If there partying, one of them is bound to post a pic.
wink.png

Quote:
I agree fully. Please do not sneak Ipecac, or anything else, into her. It would only reinforce the idea that it is OK to mess around with drugs, as you would be medicating her with the Ipecac.

Codeine is no longer available in over the counter cough syrup. If you have some in your home, that means it was prescribed for someone else, or for another illness. Keeping it around is also a misuse of medication, and teaches kids that self medicating is OK. If she is self medicating with Nyquil, it is most likely for the alcohol content.

The issue is not whatever she is using. The issue is why.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom