Think shes molting or being picked on or did something snatch her?

ThePRfan

Songster
5 Years
Sep 27, 2014
I think shes molting,but I honestly have no idea.Feathers randomally fall from her.So any clues?She's very sensetive when I pick her up, and shes running?Im getting conserned.Most of the hens are molting.

welcome-byc.gif
Sounds as if she is molting.

I agree with Sourland, molting , it takes a lot out of them, you can help them recover sooner by upping the protein level of their feed.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I agree with the other members. It does sound like she's moulting. X2 on the extra protein. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your moulting hens.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yup, that is molting.

Give her foods with lots of protein such as peas, mealworms, oatmeal, eggs, meat scraps, quinoa, etc. Chickens need extra protein while molting since they are losing their main source of it. Feathers, amazingly, take up 85% protein!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Absolutely molting. They can get very shy and nervous to be picked up. All those pin feathers can hurt when you pick them up so be careful not to break any of them if you have to pick her up. As stated above, feed treats with high protein to help get through the molt.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom