Think something is wrong with my drake(s)...second opinions?

kikidee

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2011
San Clemente
So I haven't posted on here in a couple months but those who remember me hello again! And those who don't, I have two drakes as pets. They're about 5 months old now and as far as I've observed, thriving. However, within the last two months, their stools have become mostly...loose and wet looking. I haven't fed them anything different besides duck/chicken mash and occasional blueberries or razberries and the very rare chopped up hard boiled egg. Now this hasn't made me think anything is wrong with them, but today I noticed my Cayuga drake, Biggie, limping kind of obviously. He is being friendly, coming up to me, swimming in the pool with my Welshie drake, Winston. Nothing is different, except that limp. It's kind of concerning me. I told my mom and she says if he keeps it up we're going to try and take him to a vet. Anyone have any thoughts on what it is?

Welcome Back
frow.gif

Do they free range a lot? Have you check the bottom of his feet for wounds?

Yes they do, however all there really is in my backyard is grass and dry dirt. I did check his foot that he tries not to walk on just now and the top and bottom appear to be clean and unharmed.

Yes they do, however all there really is in my backyard is grass and dry dirt. I did check his foot that he tries not to walk on just now and the top and bottom appear to be clean and unharmed.
How do they get in an out of the pool? maybe he could have hurt his leg doing either one? Most ducks have pretty runny poop.

How do they get in an out of the pool? maybe he could have hurt his leg doing either one? Most ducks have pretty runny poop.
They just climb in. But maybe... since I don't have a step or anything... I tried putting a step but they would just go around it and step in the pool so I gave up on that.
barnie.gif

They just climb in. But maybe... since I don't have a step or anything... I tried putting a step but they would just go around it and step in the pool so I gave up on that.
barnie.gif
Well the reason I asked is my drake decided he was going to jump from the top of the pool to the ground instead of using the ramp and he hurt his leg, it took awhile but he did get over it. You might try and get some niacin and put it in their drinking water, he's a little older than most ducks that get leg issues from not getting enough niacin in their diets but it wouldn't hurt. . keep us updated on how he is doing please.

By the way, I forgot to say this, but this is the first time I am seeing my drakes after almost two weeks on vacation. I had my neighbor come feed and water them daily while I was away and I doubt she'll know if they were limping prior because she kept them in their coop more than free range.

Well the reason I asked is my drake decided he was going to jump from the top of the pool to the ground instead of using the ramp and he hurt his leg, it took awhile but he did get over it. You might try and get some niacin and put it in their drinking water, he's a little older than most ducks that get leg issues from not getting enough niacin in their diets but it wouldn't hurt. . keep us updated on how he is doing please.
My pool isn't very tall.. It's height would be from the duck's foot to the start of their neck. Anyways, I always heard about niacin being important for ducks and heard it was in broccoli so I try giving them broccoli whenever I get some ...
hmm.png
not sure if that even did anything ha... I remember there are clear pills of niacin, so I guess I could probably get those from a pharmacy? Or is there like an animal version or something? And I will definitely keep this updated until the limp is gone/cured.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
By the way, I forgot to say this, but this is the first time I am seeing my drakes after almost two weeks on vacation. I had my neighbor come feed and water them daily while I was away and I doubt she'll know if they were limping prior because she kept them in their coop more than free range.
Well it maybe really hard to say what happened to him, but try to keep him from jumping in an out of the pool right now till he is over what ever it is.

Back
Top Bottom