Think they will be OK alone?

Don't leave unless you can find someone to watch them for you.... We are BLESSED to have a wonderful neighbor who thinks our chicks are the best thing since sliced bread!

Check around with your neighbors, local teens looking to make a few extra bucks, etc.... May want to try vet's office too. There may be vet techs looking to make a few extra bucks...

Good luck!

BEFORE I WOULD LEAVE THEM ALONE FOR 6 DAYS , I would delay that DELIVERY .

I would rather wait another 3 weeks longer for them to be delivered after you return home , than to come home and find them ALL DEAD .

I agree that chicks should be tended. Things can happen!
I'd also watch out for your own safety--Things can happen! I wouldn't put an ad in the paper. People can trace your phone # to your address, and if you advertise that you will be out of town, potential burglars may watch for the opportune time.
I think a vet's office would be a good resource. I would not try to get the office to board the chicks because that would be very expensive. But vet techs/assistants generally care a lot about animals and I think there's a good chance one would be willing to help for a reasonable payment.
You might call the office and explain you're looking for a chick tender and tell them the part of town you're in. You could ask them to ask their staff and tell them you'll call back in a day to see if anyone is willing. When you call back, the vet or other employees in the office could help you get a feeling for how honest, reliable and careful the person is.
You could then make arrangements directly with the individual, and give them your address, etc. for them to come to your place to care for the chicks; or have the person maybe keep the chicks in a large cardboard box at their house while you're gone.
I'd feel a lot more secure getting a chick-tender that way. Just my ideas.

I was in a similar fix two weeks ago: My arranged sitter pulled out & I had tickets to Hawaii. I made up flyers & placed them at pet stores and my vet's office. No response! So I called the vet's office, pleading for a name of a pet sitter. The whole office must have drawn straws. I ended up with one vet's teenager. I ended up paying $10 a day, but it was worth it.
Beat the bushes! You will find someone!!!

Just adding my two cents to all the others.

I wouldn't leave them without someone to care for them at LEAST once a day. There are probably pet sitters listed in the phone book.

Quote:
Congrats! That was a really good deal. And you're right - beating the bushes (and checking references, except of course when it's your vets kid!) will yield results.

JJ

Back
Top Bottom