Thinking about a macaw but were to start?

I would not choose a macaw... and i've had plenty of parrot experience. If you've ever been bitten by a larger parrot, just the THOUGHT of getting bit by a macaw is why i will never own one. I want to keep all my fingers..
lol.png

Beautiful birds though!!

And a caged macaw had cutted the paw off a domestic housecat, by just bite the paw.

Breeding macaws are dangerous if you enter their breeding avaries.

Macaws can bring in the bears to come to your property.

Think like a bear...if you are a 6 metres huge adult male grizzle bear and you licking the ants off nest, then you go looking for blueberries...you hear a sudden loud noise, you will think "Canada geese are having arguement", but you listen to the noises and you realise that was not from canada geese...you realise it would be good idea to home on noise...yummy yum baby canada goslings...you carry on homing on noises until you notice the strange trees and human habitat...sudden the loud noises came from the trees, you realise you need trees to give you the cover if you want to grab a baby canada gosling, but you need a dense thorny trees to stop parent canada geese from attack you. Then you approach and entered the human habitat, you don't care about being attacked by dogs, because you are a 6 metres huge bear and to you, the dogs are just moquitoes...a loud noises came again and you homed on noise, until you find metal avaries...extra loud noises came as macaws scream when they saw you (the grizzle bear)....three dogs attack you, but your fur are too tough for dogs and you don't feel pain & you swipe the dogs and dogs become dead dogs, each time the you swipe the dog....But your ear drums are hurted and you feel very angry and you muscle toward macaw avaries. then you swipe at avaries, until avaries went down, by time macaws make the most loudest voices...you kept swiping at avaries...you found a macaw...but you got earful of loud noise...then you stand and then killing the macaw, by hammering, with your huge hairy paws, then you carry on killing all macaws. Two other grizzle bears came & joined you...you saw the other bears and you stand and ask the other bears.."What you doing in my private property ???" The bears tell you they had same minds and busnesses as you are.
Then you and two bears went on killing the loud-voiced macaws and destroying the avaries.
Then you and bears eat the dead macaws, before you go home to your den...a cave. Other bears went home to their caves.
The macaw owners will be for a nasty shock....heavily damaged downed avaries and no macaws, plus bad smells (Live bear's fur smell bad)

Wolves, foxes, bobcats, fishers, raccoons, bears will come to your properties if you keep macaws because they thought you have canada geese that can be noisy when the geese are have arguements and fighting.

Wow a lot of various thoughts...
Let me say again that we are in no rush what so ever. It mite be years befor we are ready.
I will check with one of the almost local vets to duble check that he knows birds befor we get one (no matter what typ of caged bird) I know my normal vet does not
With this typ of animal the way I see it is you live with it, not just have it... I also don't think of the cage as where the bird lives, but a safe place to keep it when we are not home or there is too much going on to watch it.
I'm not dead set on the typ, but we really would like to add a macaw {and I'm sure smaller birds} to our family.

The welded cage is just a thought...I had asumed that the cages were welded. I think I'll look into it more.
Thats good to know. I'm not a fan of none stick anyways, more of a cast iorn girl my self. And I'm still with my parents, my fiance and I our building our house, so I won't have to get rid of anything pans
wink.png

I'm very open to shelter, or older birds. But I haven't found any bird resuces around here yet.

Bitting and other cons- I think it would be worth it. My first time working with a young horse, I got knocked over and trampled. With in a few day I got kicked in the gut leaving me on my knees for 30-40 minutes. The filly that did that is now 7 years old, and my best bud. She was not being meen, just didn't know what was going on and I was in the way. I've been beat up by other young horses. But what I love best is working with those babys. First halter, saddle, ride. It is very much worth it to me. I'm sure I'll get bit, and maybe a lot.
What is more messy 4 boys or a macaw? I have 4 younger brothers, it's not the same but it mite be close

I understand some bird like people are more out going or shy.
I don't know why I didn't think of finding a forum just for birds...guess cuz I just started look into all of this.
Fans should be off. And hot stoves can be a danger - been told of birds landing on them
sad.png

I hope I did not sound rude or ungreatful, I'm very thankful for the all info you all have shared with me. We mite go with something smaller at first, but like I said no rush.

And with all do respect - As for the comment made about bears, we have livestock, we have a garden, we cook with the windoes open or out doors...they could be tempted by any of that. Other then coons, and some foxs the wild life around here is shy, or happy with wild food. And they use dogs to hunt bear {or used to} they use dog to chase bear that have been trapped and released back into the wild, most bears have a natural fear of dogs. As do most wild life. And on top of that we have small 200-500lb black bears, that tend to be very shy.

I see you're from Oklahoma, this is what I found:

Feathered Friends Parrot Rescue. Central Oklahoma; Anita Bertram, (405) 598-8528.

Fight 4 Flight Parrot Rescue, Inc. 501(c)(3) nonprofit. Claremore, Okla., Janet Sullivan, 918-283-1264; Skiatook, Okla., Lynn Hatfield, 918-396-7882; [email protected]

Hi that_crazy_lady,
I am sorry you get hurted & kicked by horses, I hoped your horses behave themselves. Horses are not very nice animals and they become very nervous when you have a pet macaw that make very loud noises.
Once horses get frightened by loud noises, they just run away for long distance.
Your 4 brothers will hurt your pet macaw if it scream too loudly.
Bad smells from bears, can frighten the horses away. (Horses are very wary of bears & wolves.)

Goodness thankyou, the bears must had healthy fear of humen & domestic dogs, but remember they are huge animals that become dangerous if cornered. You need to add few more dogs, in case 1 or 2 gogs get killed by bears and wolves.

Remember a big strong metal avariy have to be built before you buy macaws.

Have good time.
smile.png

Quote:

I have to macaws.1 scarlet[girl],1 blue &gold[boy]. I hand fed the girl and have had her 15 years now. the boy belonged to my neighbor. he passed away a few years ago and I took over his care. I LOVE MY MACAWS. I dont regret ever having them around till one screams in ur ear. but that only last a few minutes. I relize the joy they bring. It is a lifetime commitment but a rewarding one. ur never alone with one of these toddlers in ur life.

Hello I love birds and although I know It would be a long time until I could ever have a macaw I was curious as to what it would be like so I read some macaw related threads and came across this one and I was wondering if you ever decided to get a macaw.

Back
Top Bottom