Thinking about chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by neurohr, May 30, 2012.

1. neurohr

neurohr Hatching

May 30, 2012
    Hello everyone, I am thinking about getting some chickens. I just bought a new place and it has a chicken coop out back so wanting to put it to use. I am new to chickens, as a matter a fact, I just found out yesterday I don't need a rooster to get eggs,????? But I live in kentucky and wanting to know the best chickens to get for eggs and eat when they are done producing eggs. I don't want to raise chicks, Im looking to get chickens that are already laying. I am full of questions and hope you all will bear with me as I try this out...

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Songster

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    If byc members from your state has a "state thread" you can ask for birds there.
    I would not recommend buying grown birds form just anyone from anywhere. The birds may have a disease.
    I know people new to the chicken world want "Laying birds NOW!" But it is best to wait a while to get good birds.

Here is the link for kentucky

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=110

Last edited: May 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. You are in the right place to learn. Just pic a section and ask away. :thumbsup

4. neurohr

neurohr Hatching

May 30, 2012
    Thank you for the warm welcomes. Im sure I will spend a couple days reading, and then start asking. This looks like a great site to learn things

5. ChickiesInUtah

ChickiesInUtah Chirping

May 14, 2012
    Northern Utah
    Welcome! [​IMG]

I'm new too. We can muddle through this together. [​IMG]

6. neurohr

neurohr Hatching

May 30, 2012
    sounds good, do you alreay have some chickens???

7. ChickiesInUtah

ChickiesInUtah Chirping

May 14, 2012
    Northern Utah
    We do. We bought chicks at the hardware store on May 9th. They're almost fully feathered. I can't wait to stick them into the coop, my house smells like a barn! [​IMG]

They're White Plymouth Rocks, which are known to tolerate colder temps (I'm in the Rocky mountains). Where do you live?

ETA I see you're in Kentucky. I think there are lot of southerners on here who could help you out, do a search for your state!

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  8. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome

Glad to have you on board!
    I have red sex links, they are fantastic layers and very consistent, however not sure how they are with eating. We got too attached to our birds to really eat them, even though they've stopped laying now. :p

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: