Thinking about getting a dog or two

Beware of uneven numbers of dogs to run together. 2 will often gang up on the one, or the 2 of the same sex may fight.

Your best bet is a neutered opposite sex pair.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend multiple puppies at the same time. They're usually far more interested in each other than a human, so you will need to train them separately. It seems that most people don't even find the time to train one well. Training three dogs for two completely different purposes is a huge undertaking.

What will happen when you leave home?

Quote:
Remember that until they are WELL-trained (which can be a while... *quite* a while if you get a puppy and/or are not very assiduous with your training... herding breeds' idea of "herding" tends to be more like what livestock interpret as "chasing and harassing". So until and unless you get the dog well-trained, being a herding breed is often a *liability* around livestock.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

It all depends on how much time you spend with the dogs. We have six dogs (all hound mix breeds) and they get along good with the live stock. They just need lots of training. good luck. I like the hounds the best, but that is my own opnion.

Boy howdy, I hope you are ready. These can be very strong tempered upstanding dogs, and very territorial.

Getting 2 puppies at once is inadvisable. I would suggest puppy class as early as you can.

Good luck!

Quote:
I'd have him on speed dial
hmm.png

You sound like a pretty responsible young person. I think you'll do fine and have a great time training your Heelers. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom