Thinking about getting a food dehydrator

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by shadowpaints, Jan 18, 2011.

1. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    so i have been thinking of buying one for a long time.... i like the idea of having lots of dehydrated food around like

Fruits
    Veggies (?)
    beef
    Chicken (anyone done this or is it easier to can?)

suggestions! please [​IMG]

2. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    I have 2 Nesco, American Harvest dryers that I have been using a lot for over 15 years. Super simple, very inexpensive, easy to clean, can be found at almost all dept. stores: Fred Meyer, Walmart, etc. They come with 3 or 4 trays, you can buy extras, I dry 12 trays of goodies at a time on each dryer. I just do fruits and veggies (grapes, apples, plums, peaches, tomatoes, peppers, etc.). We do all of our venison jerky and any other meats/fish in the smoker so I have no experience with their use for that but they do come with a recipe book that has jerky in it. They are a little noisy (kind of like a hair dryer) and make the house very humid (we live in a tiny hayloft apartment). Hope this helps!

3. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    I have a nesco FD50 snackmaster. I love it. I got it used at a garage sale years ago. I do potatoes and apples on it often.

4. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    We have one and use it for all kinds of vegetables and herbs. Had an overabundance of cherry tomatoes year before last, so I just cut them in half and put them on the trays. They were delicious. We ate them like chips, threw them in sauces, and just pigged out on them.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    beef jerky & fish jerky
    I was thinking of trying a shredded vegetable mix for winter soups.

6. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    I also use my to dry sweet pot. slices...the dog LOVES them!

7. GAGE

GAGE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    GA
    I have two and make several batches of venison jerky every year.

8. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I think you will enjoy having one! I love to do my cherry tomatoes- I add them to pizza all winter. The organic cherry tomatoes at the store are 4-5 bucks a pint!!! So, not only do they taste great, they save money! I would not say it replaces canning- but as appliances go, it is a handy one to have!

9. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    I use mine all of the time. I don't really like to can, so I dehydrate most of what we grow, and even things I buy on sale! Fruits, veggies, beans, corn, crackers, etc.

One of the easiest ways to get veggies into my kid is to take dehydrated veggies, grind them into a powder and sprinkle in something dark, like pizza sauce. I have a ton of canning jars, and label them. Keep in the dark.

You'll be addicted. And there's lots of info online for how long to dry. I usually go too long, which isn't bad. But somethings I dried 3 years ago are still ok, and they are just in baggies!

Enjoy!

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Soo... what all can you dehydrate with these things?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by