Thinking about getting a Pembroke corgi ? Will they get along with my flock?

I am considering getting a corgi puppy but I want to know if that’s an okay breed around chickens. Also how do you introduce a puppy to chickens?
I have experience training many dogs and highly recommend any dog owner to train their beloved pet.
You will never be disappointed.
The Corgi is really no different then training any other High prey drive herding dog. Such as a Collie, Shepard, Cattle dog, Corgi, Sheepdog and a sheltie. With training, you will take the inherent genetic breeding and put them to work. A job they love to do. If you do not, you will find yourself with a cute puppy that has grown to be destructive, not safe around your chickens and bark it's head off and chase anything thar moves. These dogs can become neurotic without obedience and a job.
As you know any dog with a high prey drive has to be taught obedience at a higher level than most. To be successful, it is more than a sit, down and stay and walk on a leash as these skills are at a Kindergarten level for a herding breed.
I suggest you plan on taking your pup to training and consider earning at least your CGC if not CGCA and CGCU.
Their are many videos regarding these tests and after you train and pass the tests, you can hold your head high Knowing your High drive herding dog will listen to you on command. You will have a Corgi that has a job to do and does it well because he/she will know his expectations.
Good Luck, a Corgi is a fun loving Fast little love bug.

x2 on all the above! They are cute and short, but determined herding dogs, so need training and gainful employment.
Any puppy needs to learn that your birds are OFF LIMITS, from day one, and lots of supervision. Fun, but work, and if you aren't in charge, your Corgi will take over.
Mary

Last edited:
x2 on all the above! They are cute and short, but determined herding dogs, so need training and gainful employment.
Any puppy needs to learn that your birds are OFF LIMITS, for day one, and lots of supervision. Fun, but work, and if you aren't in charge, your Corgi will take over.
Mary
Absolutely Mary,
They can become very destructive like any herding breed but, more because their size lends itself to being very "Spoiled" as a pup.
They stay "puppy like" across the board longer than most. Personally, other breeds are a better option if your not serious about training them.
I have a Shepard and we have earned her CGCA and Therapy Dog Certification and I Still have to be watchful and mindful because of her prey drive and herding instincts.
She is 7 years old and her prey drive still kicks in every once in a while. Problem is, I never know when.

We got our Mini Aussie from a farm that had chickens, so as a young puppy he'd been pecked by an angry hen. He never minds our birds.
Lol, thats the same of my Shepard! Lol
As a pup, she was on the receiving end of a male barn cat. That cat finally had enough of her confidence puppy self and swiped at her face then, he chased her!!! She ran as fast as her puppy self could straight to me!! LOL
As I cleaned her nose, I said, I told you and you wouldn't listen! Lol
To this day, she has the utmost respect.
School of hard knocks. Lol

Corgis can be very stubborn at times but they're smart too. Spend lots of time training. Introduce him to the chickens at an early age. I would watch some of Zak George's videos on YouTube about training. Lots of info.
Also, Petco has a great training course. I took my stubborn Yorkie pup there and though I had already tought her lots of tricks it helped a lot.
Some things they teach include sit, lay down, shake, rollover, leave it, stay, come, leash training, and they get lots of socialization in a class with multiple puppies. I'm not sure if they still do this but they usually have puppy play time on the weekends. They match up dogs based on size and personality and they get to play together.
My trainer had just gotten a corgi puppy. The previous owner had given him to her. They didn't realize how much work they were and how stubborn they can be.

I'm going to attach a video on introducing them to chickens

People tend to get some breeds, including this one, based on the 'cuteness' factor, not thinking about it's purpose, or the training it takes to raise a good working dog. We've seen many Corgis who are happy to bite when things don't go their way, because they were so spoiled and 'cute'.
Wonderful dogs when raised right! (Just too short...)
Mary

Back
Top Bottom